New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Imperial IPA or Barley Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #1
NotionCommotion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Imperial IPA or Barley Wine

I recently tried to make an Imperial IPA. It didn't taste anything like one, but it was an awsome Barley Wine. Can anyone tell me where I went astray. My recipe is posted here. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
thebikingengineer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It looks like you used a small amount of bittering hops and tons of flavor hops. I personally would have skewed it so that there was a bigger addition at the beginning and fewer additions during the boil (ex. 2 oz @ 90 min, 2 oz @ 60 min, then flavor). The way you added the hops ended up leaving you with a very high gravity beer that had a good balance of malt flavor, hop bittering, and hop flavor. IIPAs generally leave the malt flavor behind a bit for more of the latter two.

Sounds like a tasty brew though. Did it really finish that fast?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
I recently tried to make an Imperial IPA. It didn't taste anything like one, but it was an awsome Barley Wine. Can anyone tell me where I went astray. My recipe is posted here. Thanks!
I don't see any problem with the hops if I am reading recipe correctly...your IBUs are through the roof. Though, your SG was likely rather high and require some pretty substantial fermentation/starter to attenuate well.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
NotionCommotion
Recipes 

Thanks for the advise. Yes, it is high gravity. In fact, the final gravity was around 1.025, a little higher than I expected. I pitched with a new liquid american yeast, a new dry american yeast, and some leftover american yeast from the tertriary of a earlier beer, and then oxygenated well. I was concerned that the yeast in the later might be weak, but this evidently wasn't the case because I had health fermentation in 3 hours.

I don't know what you meant by "did it finish that fast". I should have kept in in the primary for 8 or 9 days, but only did for 7 and moved to a secondary to dry hop. There was a LOT of yeast at the end of my secondary.

The IBU's are definately up there, but the sweetness seems to balance well. I am thinking this will be a good brew to age a bit.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotionCommotion
Could just be the variety of hops you used paired with the high alcohol content.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

My IIPA has over 200 calculated IBUs with a 1.080 OG. I mash low in the 148 range to keep it dry. I also use very little crystal if at all.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Based on other comments I have read or heard on IIPAs, including the Jamil Show, I would say you need to look at trying to get a drier beer for an IIPA. Mashing at low temps, below 150F and replacing some of the extract with corn sugar should help. Ofcourse a big starter and a dry clean fermenting yeast is a must.

There is definitely some over lap with IIPAs and Barleywines and it sounds like you ended up a little on the BW side of things. I don't think you can use too many hops with an IIPA so that may be something you can do also.
Craig

Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I'd concur with the recommendation for lower mash temps and to cut back on the crystal. If you want some extra malt character to the brew, try a few pounds of Munich along with the base malt. One other thing you can do is to use a modest amount (~10%) of a simple sugar - even table sugar - to add gravity while keeping the beer fairly dry.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
NotionCommotion
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I will incorperate it in my next strong IPA (and enjoy my barley wine until then).

Quick Reply