New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > "Imperial" American Amber Ale Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Jamo99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Imperial" American Amber Ale Critique

So, I'm thinking of brewing up a big AAA this weekend. It's based on a Jamil recipe, but has been tweaked. Let me know how my grist and hopping schedule look. I've only been getting around 62-65% efficiency. This will be fermented with S-05.

Quote:

6# light DME
5# 2-row
1# munich
1 1/2# crystal 40L
1/2# crystal 120L
1/2# victory

1/4 oz chinook FWH
1/2 oz simcoe FWH
3/4 oz columbus FWH
1/2 oz amarillo 15
1 oz centennial 10
1 oz amarillo 5
1/2 oz simcoe 0
1/4 oz columbus 0

SG = 1.085
IBU = 77
Edit: Mashing at 155 degF

Edit #2: Upped the OG a bit and reworked the hopping schedule based on what I have on hand. Are my amounts of crystal appropriate? More? Less?

Last edited by Jamo99; 10-30-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Updated Hops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, any recommendations today? Is it perfect?!?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
BJBrewer
Recipes 

Sounds like a winner to me, I like the hop selection! Isnt S-05 a wheat beer yeast?

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

That seems like a LOT of C40 to me. I'm no expert, but I'd want a dry enough beer for those hops to pop. My PA/Cascade SMaSH, a 1.072 -> 1.012 beer, is sweet enough with only base grain (~15% lightly home-toasted) and 5oz 6% hops (~50 IBU).

Old 10-31-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99 View Post
So, I'm thinking of brewing up a big AAA this weekend. It's based on a Jamil recipe, but has been tweaked. Let me know how my grist and hopping schedule look. I've only been getting around 62-65% efficiency. This will be fermented with S-05.

Edit: Mashing at 155 degF

Edit #2: Upped the OG a bit and reworked the hopping schedule based on what I have on hand. Are my amounts of crystal appropriate? More? Less?
Is your 62 -65% efficiency on your mini mash before or after your DME addition?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
Is your 62 -65% efficiency on your mini mash before or after your DME addition?
That is based on my gravity in the fermenter after any DME addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
That seems like a LOT of C40 to me. I'm no expert, but I'd want a dry enough beer for those hops to pop. My PA/Cascade SMaSH, a 1.072 -> 1.012 beer, is sweet enough with only base grain (~15% lightly home-toasted) and 5oz 6% hops (~50 IBU).
I've got some pale ales and ipas around, so I wanted to do a west coast red style that utilizes a bunch of crystal. Something hoppy, but not as in your face. I was thinking something along the lines of Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve Ale. I know that beer is Chinook and Centennial, but I'm not going for a clone and I have most of these hops on hand.

I haven't seen many recipes for red ales in the 1.08 range, so I wasn't sure I had a nice ratio of crystal. Or if anyone thought I should add some roasted barley or something.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Quote:
That is based on my gravity in the fermenter after any DME addition

I've got some pale ales and ipas around, so I wanted to do a west coast red style that utilizes a bunch of crystal. Something hoppy, but not as in your face. I was thinking something along the lines of Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve Ale. I know that beer is Chinook and Centennial, but I'm not going for a clone and I have most of these hops on hand.

I haven't seen many recipes for red ales in the 1.08 range, so I wasn't sure I had a nice ratio of crystal. Or if anyone thought I should add some roasted barley or something.
I haven't done an extract batch in a while but shouldn't you get 100% efficiency with extract? Maybe check your volumes....are you sure your getting 5 gallons of wort becuase that will throw off your efficiency?

On the crystal issue...use all the c120 but cut back on the c40 and a little roasted barley will give you a nice red.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
I haven't done an extract batch in a while but shouldn't you get 100% efficiency with extract? Maybe check your volumes....are you sure your getting 5 gallons of wort becuase that will throw off your efficiency?

On the crystal issue...use all the c120 but cut back on the c40 and a little roasted barley will give you a nice red.
I'm collecting 5 1/2 gallons. Determining my efficiency, I've just been plugging the recipe into ProMash and adjusting the efficiency until I hit my actual OG. The program does take the extract being 100% efficient into account. I know because I've forgotten a recipe at home and have had to work out long hand my grain bill at work using the efficiency given by ProMash. I know places where I can improve my efficiency, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Right now I'm consistently getting 63-65%, so I can build/adjust recipes based on that.

here's the tweaked recipe:

Quote:

6# light DME
5# 2-row
1# munich
1# crystal 40L
1/2# crystal 120L
1/2# victory
2 oz roasted barley

1/4 oz chinook FWH
1/2 oz simcoe FWH
3/4 oz columbus FWH
1/2 oz amarillo 15
1 oz centennial 10
1 oz amarillo 5
1/2 oz simcoe 0
1/4 oz columbus 0

SG = 1.083
IBU = 77
Thanks for the input so far. If anyone else has an opinion, I'd be glad to hear it.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thanks for the input so far. If anyone else has an opinion, I'd be glad to hear it.
I think you'll like it quite a bit. I brewed one very similar (12.4 lbs 2-row, and the exact same supporting grains except for 3 oz pale chocolate vs your 2 oz roasted barley) and I thought it turned out quite nicely. You're hopping is a bit more aggressive (77 IBU vs my 62) but your anticipated gravity is also higher (1.083 vs my 1.066). So it'll be a little bigger and bolder, with an extra touch of roast. I say it'll be great.

Report back. Or better yet send me some.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedMonkey View Post
Report back. Or better yet send me some.
Sure, I'll keep on sending it to 127.0.0.1 till that keg is kicked!

Quick Reply