Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I'm reusing my yeast -- can anyone suggest a recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
allanmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I'm reusing my yeast -- can anyone suggest a recipe?

I'm fermenting a batch of American IPA at the moment. Once I rack to secondary, I'm hoping I can time it so that I can pour a new, fresh batch of wort right on top of the yeast that's left behind. The problem? I don't know what would be a good beer to do this with.

I used white labs american ale yeast...can anyone suggest a good recipe (extract) that would lend itself to reusing this yeast? I've never done this before.

Also, what type of results can I expect? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is a really good yeast for lots of different styles and since you brewed a pale ale first, your options are very open (you aren't supposed to brew a lighter beer after a darker one).

Anything that has a very neutral yeast flavor to it would be a good idea to brew (Pale Ales, Ambers, browns, red ales, maybe something spiced or a barley wine (double good because pitching ontop of a yeast cake is almost a must) or even a stout) it is just a matter of picking what style you want to brew and going to the recipes database

As far as what to expect: get a blow-off hose ready, the thing will get to a very fast, very intense fermentation

Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
somecallmetim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
This is a really good yeast for lots of different styles and since you brewed a pale ale first, your options are very open (you aren't supposed to brew a lighter beer after a darker one).
Just to add to that point, You want a beer with a higher OG on your cake, so you get some growth &/or you don't have more yeast than you need. If you want to brew a smaller beer you can add some distilled water, swirl & pour off about half the cake...

On Tap - Haus Ale, Baltic Porter.
Fermenting- SNPA Clone, Half Wit

Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you haven't made the transfer already, a better move might be taking a sample of the trub/cake, and using that to propagate a starter. This is what I do when I want to reuse yeast -- you get ideal cell counts and you don't over-pitch -- which can be potentially devastating to the brew.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Quick Reply