Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > ideas for something the SWMBO might like.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Use floral, spicy or fruity hops. Keep the IBU under 20.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #12
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I think the newcastle is a good suggestion.. I can't say I like it a whole lot since it always seems to taste sorta like coca cola to me (not bitter at all and kinda caramelly-syrup like). I have no idea how to clone new castle and would be off base making a suggestion here.

I can also speak from experience since I have a fiancé who doesn't like beer either. If I'm gonna serve beer at the wedding I figure the least I can do is find something she likes. I tried a wheat beer that was a pretty good clone of blue moon (a little more orange and a little less coriander next time though) but it was great.. no dice. Next I tried a cream ale.. it might have been the best beer I've brewed this year.. no dice. This time I tried a cherry wheat.. kept the IBU's under 20 - about 16 or so. I added a big can of oregon cherry puree when it went into the secondary and transferred it into the keg when it stopped fermenting after the cherry addition. I served her some that was warm and flat and she actually said she liked it..really liked it. Maybe I've done it this time, I guess I'll know for sure in a few days.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is this: don't get discouraged and if all else fails try a fruit wheat beer. I *hear* apricot is good and I can personally tell you that blueberry tastes great too.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:39 AM   #13
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I think y'all might be going in the wrong direction when you suggest a lighter, milder, or fruitier beer. Does she drink coffee? I'd suggest a nice Cream Stout if she likes coffee and chocolate(what woman doesn't?). I would use alot of chocolate malt and to make it a cream stout, I'd use lactose sugar.

My wife like's beer, but she LOVES my stouts!!! (shhh, I said stout"s")

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyk'd
I think y'all might be going in the wrong direction when you suggest a lighter, milder, or fruitier beer. Does she drink coffee? I'd suggest a nice Cream Stout if she likes coffee and chocolate(what woman doesn't?). I would use alot of chocolate malt and to make it a cream stout, I'd use lactose sugar.

My wife like's beer, but she LOVES my stouts!!! (shhh, I said stout"s")

Thanks, this is sorta what I was thinking also. I have this two hearted IPA right now and it has a very strong flural taste to it and I think what she is refering to is that combined with the bitterness.

She does like Coffee A LOT and chocolate. I think the first beer I brew will be a porter. See if she likes that or not. Porter is probably my favorite style so I'll at least like it.

I asked last night and while she doesn't really have any intense desire to like beer she did say it would be nice to find some she enjoys. I have to admit it is very hard to describe the aftertaste, Flural is there but there are some other things I can't ID. Part of it I think is developing a taste for it. Anything new to you always tastes intense at first. heck the first time I had HOT! chili it almost killed me. Now it doesn't taste like chili without a few hot peppers. It is the same with beer.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My wife doesn't like beer either, and that isn't going to change. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it. That just means more for you.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
Dustin_J
Recipes 

My GF is a big wine drinker, and told me she didn't like beer AT ALL when I first met her. She's got a pretty good palate, though, so I went for some beligian golden ales/trippels, saisons etc..., hoping she could get into the complexity of them. The last time I visited, I bought some Delirium Tremens, Achel 8 blond, and a big bottle of Saison Dupont. Needless to say, she changed her tune a bit and keeps asking for more recommendations.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess Im lucky, or maybe cursed. She likes the exact same beers that I like. Which is nice because she always likes what I make, but sucks at teh same time becasue the stuff I like doesnt stay very long.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 AM   #18
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

My wife likes darker beers, which is cool, except that she really disliked the Hefe that I bought as it was "too light." I did want to try brewing one this summer, but won't now if it's just going to be me drinking it.

Old 07-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #19
Jsin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
My wife likes darker beers, which is cool, except that she really disliked the Hefe that I bought as it was "too light." I did want to try brewing one this summer, but won't now if it's just going to be me drinking it.
Then you should brew a dark wheat instead and see if you both like it. It could still be a Hefe and be dark at the same time.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok we went to a local brew house and tried some stuff.

She had a lancaster brew company - Strawberry wheat, it pretty much sucked all around, she drank it but wasn't thrilled, it really just had no flavor.

next she tried some lambic, not sure of the rest of the name. She really liked this. To me it was basically a wine cooler. Is that something I can brew?

I had a rogue Dead man's ale, it was pretty warm and didn't really stand out at all,

next I had a samueal smith taddy porter, this was excellent. She didn't care for it so much.

Out of 4 beers the only one she really liked was the lambic, now, what is Mead?

Quick Reply