Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > IBU number

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
SexPanther13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default IBU number

So I'm trying to calculate hops for a beer I'm just making up and I need some comparison examples for IBU to bitterness in real life, because it's just a number. Can anyone list some common beers and their relative IBUs to give me an idea of what kind of bitterness I'd be getting into? Or link me to a similar post/web page. Thanks.

PS right now with the hops I'm calculating a 44 IBU. Is that high?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nevermind I found something.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This all depends on your tastes and what style beer it is. If it's a stout with 44 IBU's, you probably won't taste it much. If it's a pilsner with 44 IBU's, you'll taste it a lot. What style beer are you making? 44 IBU's is generally not a whole lot for most American style beers.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was going to create an English Ale. I want it bitter but not IPA bitter.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is a tough request and is an issue that I myself have been frustrated trying to figure out. Part of the issue is that there are multiple algorithms for estimating IBUs (e.g. Rager, Tinseth, Garetz) - each will give you a different estimate depending on when the hops are added. So the EXACT SAME hop schedule can give you 50 IBUs on one, but only 35 on another.

Another issue is that the same hop schedule brewed on your system will end up with a different bitterness on my system (not to mention a commercial system) due to water chemistry, kettle size/geometry, yeast, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the only way to really get a handle in this is to brew some beers using a consistent IBU estimation algorithm (I use Rager) and figure it all out relative to to your system. For example, after brewing a bunch of beers, I now know what 25, 35, and 45 IBUs tastes like coming out of my system. I could tell you that Bass Ale is 20 IBUs, but someone else will tell you its more like 30. And we'd both be right because we're comparing it to our own system.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
SexPanther13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
This is a tough request and is an issue that I myself have been frustrated trying to figure out. Part of the issue is that there are multiple algorithms for estimating IBUs (e.g. Rager, Tinseth, Garetz) - each will give you a different estimate depending on when the hops are added. So the EXACT SAME hop schedule can give you 50 IBUs on one, but only 35 on another.

Another issue is that the same hop schedule brewed on your system will end up with a different bitterness on my system (not to mention a commercial system) due to water chemistry, kettle size/geometry, yeast, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the only way to really get a handle in this is to brew some beers using a consistent IBU estimation algorithm (I use Rager) and figure it all out relative to to your system. For example, after brewing a bunch of beers, I now know what 25, 35, and 45 IBUs tastes like coming out of my system. I could tell you that Bass Ale is 20 IBUs, but someone else will tell you its more like 30. And we'd both be right because we're comparing it to our own system.
Thanks, that's good to know, I just assumed it was all the same. I guess I'll just have to do it all trial and error.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I also find it helpful to think of bitterness in terms of the IBU/OG ratio.
http://www.brewsupplies.com/hops-gravity.htm

Quick Reply