Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Which IBU calculator do you use & why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
AiredAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Default Which IBU calculator do you use & why?

Well, the title says is all. In the past, I have always made my own recipes up, based on fond memories of beers drunk in the past, so I haven't paid any attention to IBUs. I have used AAUs, since these are self consistent within my little brewing world.

Now, based on reading the long SNPA cloning thread on Northern Brewer's forum, I am inspired to try that recipe. The problem I am running into, is that is seems there are lots of IBU calculators out there, and I can't figure out which one to use to match the SNPA IBU target.

Can anyone recommend one? Or, if you've made the SNPA clone based on Beerfan's recipe. what calculator did you use, and how did the beer turn out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use BeerSmith software; not only a IBU calc. but a full fledged brewing package... Free to try for 20 days or something and $19.95 to buy. Great program though!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use Beersmith, too. It uses the 'Tinseth' calculation by default but you can change which formulae it uses.

However, it is worth remembering that IBUs are affected by many, many different factors and one calculation is no better than another. It's unlikely you'll get exactly the bitterness you're looking for first time, but you will have a reference point for your next brew.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Once you get into the real high IPU numbers, all the programs begin to break down. When they look at the actual IBU content of beers chemically, it seems that you can't get more than 100 IBUs in solution. Yet, the programs will come up with calculations showing 278 IBUs, for example. I just did an IPA that supposedly is 90 IBUs, but I highly doubt it.

In any case, if you are consistent with one program or calculator, you'll still get good info. But, 60 IBUs for you may be 70 IBUs for someone else, or 50 in reality.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
In any case, if you are consistent with one program or calculator, you'll still get good info. But, 60 IBUs for you may be 70 IBUs for someone else, or 50 in reality.

the_bird is right (though at times convoluted - how could he spout pure content for 4000+ posts? ) - As long as you take good notes and use the same method of calculations every time, you're all good.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Hey, if I were a "real" post whore, I would have said "Be consistent and you're good!" and not brought up the issue of the numbers aren't terribly accurate to begin with.

Although, a "real" post whore would also feel the need to respond to your comment....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You doubt my hopwine???

I do too. It's a classic example of the calculators failing. It's actually a little on the sweet side with the raisin flavor dominating. I suspect I would have gotten the same actual bittering with one oz. of Columbus. Since it was a very old recipe, the original hops were probably much lower AA%.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hops (ounce) x AA X % Utilization Divided by 6.7 (5gallonx1.34)

Depending on your system 60 min boil=30-35 %, 30 min=15-17%, etc...

ex: 1oz 8AA hops boiled for 60 min= 1(8)(30)/6.7=35ibu

Thats what I use...It may not be dead-on-balls accurate but it works well enough for me.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Last edited by Ivan Lendl; 01-14-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks folks. The one real unknown is the % utilization. For example, assuming a 60 min 1.050 gravity full wort boil, this seems to range from 20% (Garetz) to 30% (Rager); that's a dirty great big range. So who's right, and what's their evidence? I agree with the responses that counsel a trial and error approach, I just want to see if there is some good basis for choosing a % utilization.

What do professional brewers do? Get the AA content measured? Beyond my means...

Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredAle
Thanks folks. The one real unknown is the % utilization. For example, assuming a 60 min 1.050 gravity full wort boil, this seems to range from 20% (Garetz) to 30% (Rager); that's a dirty great big range. So who's right, and what's their evidence? I agree with the responses that counsel a trial and error approach, I just want to see if there is some good basis for choosing a % utilization.

What do professional brewers do? Get the AA content measured? Beyond my means...
Well that's just it isn't it. It is all about perception, no? As you know you can make some styles taste far too hoppy on less hops than another. So in a nutshell that kind of defeats the whole 'bitterness'....in other words....the IBU might be right for one style but the same IBU would be way too high for say a wheat so, it may be the same measured IBU but this does not account for perception! My personal feelings (I use the calculations that come from Palmer's book...not sure which one it is) but for my brews I have been using those and tuning my recipes to the results generated from those calculations. I think this will be a mysterious area of brewing and beer appreciation in general for a long time to come.

I guess what I am getting at is that although the equations are time and gravity dependent, there is still another piece to the puzzle. The way some flavors and profiles dominate the palate can create interesting effects. I tend to wonder if using the theoretical FG based on mash profile might not be an area to explore for tweaking the equations.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 01-15-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply