Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I won 2 oz of goldings hops in a competition...I need an extract recipe suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
elpresidente
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I won 2 oz of goldings hops in a competition...I need an extract recipe suggestion

Hello All,

I recently entered a homebrew judging competition and won some hops. It is about 2 ounces of whole leaf "goldings" hops.

I was just wondering does anyone know a quick and easy recipe I could put together that would utilize these hops?

I was trying to save as much money as I can since I am on a tight budget and was thinking of just buying a little malt extract to use with the hops. I just don't know what a good recipe would be...any suggestions?

The main kicker is that I don't want to buy more than I have to to make this beer. I was thinking of just buying the steeping grains and malt extract or just the malt extract by itself...and the yeast of course.

Seasoned Rips Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 62

A brown porter would be good this time of year and it wont cost much. 5 lb LME, 8 oz Chocolate malt and 8 oz crystal 80L with your hops at 60 would make a nice simple one.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
elpresidente
Recipes 

That sounds good, I want to have fun with this one since it is kind of thrown together...I think I am about to head off to the homebrew store.

Any tips on how to handle the whole hops? I have the 2 oz bag in the freezer...should it be thawed out at all? Any other tips using them? I have never used whole leaf it has always been pellet hops.

Seasoned Rips Brewery

Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 62

No different, just they soak up more wort. You might want to use a hop bag. I don't. I dump them into the fermenter with all the wort.

Really the only difference is pellets stay fresh better and are about 10% stronger. Pellets have more of the stems removed.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Quick Reply