Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I will build your IPA/IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #21
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I've noticed you recommend using leaf hops over pellets. Just out of curiosity, why is that?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I like using pellets during flameout and dryhop since I feel you get more oil release from them during these stages. They are also easier to work with. But a big thing that leaf hops have going for them is that the supplier cannot hide their quality/freshness/purity. What you see is what you get. With pellet hops, quality "can" be more debatable.

Additionally, IPAs use more hops than other beer styles. Homebrewers usually buy leaf hops in bulk (12-16 oz. minimums) at places like hopsdirect.com or freshops.com - They may even get bulk discounts from their local LHBS. Hopsdirect usually has more variety of leaf hops suitable for American IPAs and Freshops doesn't even sell pellets.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
barrooze
Recipes 

Any update on the remaining recipe requests? Just curious. Still no hurry from me.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05

Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
Pale Ale malt
Pilsener malt
Munich malt
Wheat malt

Citra 2 oz. (late)
Amarillo 1 oz. (late)
Magnum 3 oz. (early)
Cascade 3 oz. (late)
NB 6 oz. (early or late)
Palisade 1 oz. (late)
Falc Flight 4 oz. (late)
Columbus 13 oz. (early or late)

All-Grain
Kettle size: 10g
Batch size (in gallons): 6g
Carboy: 6.5g w/secondary
6.5 - 8% abv
Thin and highly drinkable

I want the malt to matter and what I do taste, I want it to be a more complex backbone. Adding pilsener or wheat is welcome.
Edit:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1348727/imperial-ipa-recipes/double-boomerang-ipa

I included mash and fermentation intructions on page 2. Scale the recipe up to 10 gallons and I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Sub the hops for any of the above mentioned. Another good combo would be Columbus, Citra, Amarillo, Falconers Flight.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Barooze, I created a recipe on hopville called "Boomerang IPA". Unfortunately, hopville is down for maintenance at the moment, but check it out when you get a chance. Scale it up to 10 gallons and I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Sub the hops for any of the above mentioned.
Sounds great! Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Liked 405 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 11
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): 6.5
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Partial
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: no or yes
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yes
Boil size (in gallons): ?
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: DFH 60 min. Two hearted ale. laqunitas
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: DFH 90 min. hopsolutley. hop monster
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: dont matter
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: dry yeast
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 4
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class):
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):3

Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 518

Just a reminder that I have not forgotten about my recipe. The BobBrews IIPA will be brewed tomorrow morning! Yipee!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #28
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Can you make an IPA like miller lite? I love those triple hopped beers.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 15 gallon
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6.5 bucket
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: All Grain BIAB
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: Yes BIAB
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5-7 gallons
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5 gallons to account for trub
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Lagunitas A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, Two Hearted, Zombie Dust
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Hopslam - can't remember many others that were good enough for me to crave again
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Yes to yeast starter
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 4
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 2

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I can do a full boil, but that would leave my batch rather small. I can get a mild sorta boil from 4 gallons, but much better when I start with 3.5. I boil off about 1.2 gallons in an hour.

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 5 gallons
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): (3) 5 gallon and (1) 6.5 gallon bucket
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: extract + grains
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: not familiar with it
Are you able to rack to secondary?: can
Boil size (in gallons): 3.5 - 4 gallons
Batch size (in gallons): prefer to top off for a greater volume, otherwise about 2.3 gallons
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Ranger, Stone's, Inversion (don't recall what I thought of Full Sail or Belgo)
IPA's I didn't like were: Bridegeport's and St Arnold's, with Big Sky kinda iffy
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Hop Czar and Extra Torpedo (Trying to achieve a piney taste similar to my 1st experience with)
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5.7-6.5%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: starter (have washed 1272 and WLP 001, but can get another if needed)
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 2-3, but I'm also interested in 4
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 2-4

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Quick Reply