Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I will build your IPA/IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default I will build your IPA/IIPA

I'm bored and I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to provide. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

Please post the following:
The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil

Kettle size (size - in gallons):
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons):
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain:
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?:
Are you able to rack to secondary?:
Boil size (in gallons):
Batch size (in gallons):
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs:
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs:
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?:
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?:
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high):
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class):
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure):
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Gee think highly of yourself don't you.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

It's a game dude. Chill out.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to give. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil:

Kettle size (size - in gallons):
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?):
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain:
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?:
Are you able to rack to secondary?:
Boil size (in gallons):
Batch size (in gallons):
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs:
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs:
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?:
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?:
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high):
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class):
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel):
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure):
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):
I'm in!

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): Bucket - 6
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: AG
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: No
Are you able to rack to secondary?: Yes
Boil size (in gallons): 6-7
Batch size (in gallons): 5-6
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Dogfish 60, Hop Head by Tree Brewing Co., Hoptical Illusion by Flying Monkeys
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Dogfish 90, Alchemist Heady Topper (dear god this is amazing), Lawson's Finest Liquids IIPA, Smashbomb by Flying Monkeys (could also just be a normal IPA)
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-7%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: I love making yeast starters - people see the flask and think I'm cooking meth.
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 4
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2.5?
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

This will be fun!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver
Gee think highly of yourself don't you.
You replied to me so does that mean you agree with me? . I love internet games

Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
wakeuphicks
Recipes 

Just what I was looking for! I came on here looking for ideas for IPA recipes, this will be my 3rd brew and Ive used clones for my first 2, but wanted to switch it up a little bit this time. Disclaimer though: I dont have full boil capability, so you can answer or not, but I'd appreciate any recipe ideas you can give. I really want to make a full bodied IPA with strong malt as well as hop flavor with a good alcohol content, but not so thick or bitter to the point where its a struggle to get through one of them. Id also like to try my hand at dry hopping with this batch. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I'm bored and I feel like sharing my hoppy brewing knowledge. I've won several homebrewing awards and people always ask me for advice, which I am flattered to provide. I tend to brew IPAs/IIPAs via partial mash that taste and smell similar to Surly Furious, Lagunitas Sucks, or Firestone Walker Union Jack. I can post recipe suggestions for extract and all-grain brewers as well. However, I do not guarantee that I will reply with a recipe if I don't agree with your responses.

The only rule is that you must be able to brew via a full volume boil

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 5 gal i believe? I usually do a partial boil w/3 gals for my 5 gal batch
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): I have both - standard bottling bucket, 6 1/2 gal carboy
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: Extract
Do you BIAB? Yes, No, or What the Hell is that?: WTF is that?
Are you able to rack to secondary?: yes
Boil size (in gallons): 3 gals
Batch size (in gallons): 5 gals
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: DH 60 min, Lagunitas IPA, Stone IPA
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Stone Double Dry-Hopped Ruination, Great Divide Titan IPA
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-6.5%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: I use liquid yeast
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 2
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 2.5
Balance (1-I would rather have something more sweet than bitter, 2-I want an absolute even bitterness and sweetness, 3-give me a beer with smooth, yet prominent bitterness, 4-blast me with bitterness and peel off my enamel): 3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2.5 - this is really what IM aiming for: full body, even malt and hops to answer your question below. Not quite a sipper...I want to be able to drink 2or 3, but I really want the full body to be the focus with the hops
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character):

Last edited by wakeuphicks; 04-20-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Kettle size (size - in gallons): 8
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons?): Bucket - 6
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: AG
Boil size (in gallons): 6-7
Batch size (in gallons): 5-6
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Dogfish 60, Hop Head by Tree Brewing Co., Hoptical Illusion by Flying Monkeys
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Dogfish 90, Alchemist Heady Topper (dear god this is amazing), Lawson's Finest Liquids IIPA, Smashbomb by Flying Monkeys (could also just be a normal IPA)
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6-7%
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: I love making yeast starters - people see the flask and think I'm cooking meth.
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 4
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2.5?
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3
You'll have to settle for 7.7% abv...

6.50 gallon boil
5.20 gallon batch
90 minute boil
1.073 OG
1.015 FG
90 IBUs
19 day primary, 12 day secondary (with dryhops)

6 lbs. 8 oz. Rahr American 2-row
3 lbs. 8 oz. Fawcett Marris Otter
1 lb. 8 oz. German 2-row Pils
1 lb. 2 oz. Corn Sugar (Late Addition)
1 lb. Cara-pils
4 oz. American Crystal 40

1.0 oz. Columbus leaf 14.0 @ 60 min
1.0 oz. Chinook leaf 11.0 @ 20 min
1.0 oz. Amarillo leaf 10.0 @ 10 min
1.0 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ 10 min
1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0 @ flameout
1.5 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ flameout
1.0 oz. Amarillo leaf 10.0 @ 12 day dryhop
1.0 oz. Centennial leaf 11.0 @ 12 day dryhop
1.5 oz. Citra leaf 13.0 @ 12 day dryhop

2.1 liter WLP001 Starter w/Intermittent Shaking

Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
HopnessMontster
Recipes 

My third ever is in the secondary now - a wheat. Looking to brew an IPA next. Thanks for the recipe offer.

Kettle size: 7 Gal
Carboy 6 Gal
Extract + Steeping Grains
Do you BIAB? What the Hell is that?:
Boil size (in gallons): 5
Batch size (in gallons): 5 Are Boil and Batch Different?
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Lagunitas Maximus, Founders Centennial, Peak Organic, Monday Night Eye Patch
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Hop Stoopid, Bells Hopslam, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 5.5-7
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: Can make starter and have stir plate
Quality expectation: 3-4
Balance 3:
Body: 2
Malt profile: 3

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm sending this via iPhone so it's free form. I'd like some awesome recipes that don't use centennial, cascade, chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe. Why? Because I've done lots of them with those hops, and I have pounds of Columbus, Williamette, Galena, brewers gold, and several others that I would like to use up.

Anything else is open, I have plenty of different grains, can do a starter, extra carboys and kegs etc.

Got anything good? I like just about every ipa I drink (had a home brew lakefront clone and a real flower power tonight, both tasty!)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

What the hell, im in..

Kettle size (size - in gallons): 10 gal blichmann, or 15.5gal keggle
Carboy or Bucket? (size - in gallons): 6 gallon carboy
Extract, Partial Mash, or All-Grain: all grain
Boil size (in gallons): 6.5-7
Batch size (in gallons): 5.5
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American IPAs: Founders cent IPA, founders all day IPA, big sky IPA, new belguim....Zombie dust, and yes its borderline ipa...lol
List your top 3-5 favorite commercial American Imperial IPAs: Founders Double trouble, hopslam, New Glarus IIpa

What is your desired alcohol level for this recipe?: 6.5
Can you make a yeast starter, or do you prefer dry yeast?: yes
Patience level (1-none, 2-low, 3-medium, 4-high): 3
Quality expectation (1-I don't care, I just want to drink, 2-If you can brew me the average beer then that's cool, 3-pretty high, 4-I want world class): 3
Body (1-Thin and highly drinkable, 2-Moderate body, drinks fairly easy, 3-Full body, a sipper for sure): 2
Malt profile (1-I want to taste a lot of different grains, 2-I want an even portrayal of malt and hops, 3-I don't really care about the malt as much as the hops, but malt still matters, 4-I want all hops, in my face with little to no malt character): 3

Quick Reply