New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I want to "brown" my beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
tigerface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I want to "brown" my beer

The expertise in this forum is amazing. Here is another tough question.
What ingredients can one use to "Brown" my beer? Keeping in mind that I am a Celiac and ingredients must be Gluten Free. So, I know about the toasting
of Buckwheat and steeping in my boil. Maybe 8 oz of Mollasses. How about
Dark Candy Sugar? What else is there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you can also do the painful process of decoction mashing, I don't know how much darker it would make it, but it basically carmelizes the sugars in the wort and will darken it too. You take out some portion of the mash, raise to boiling, and then pour back into the mash.. Other ideas?

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Almost anything that can be roasted will darken the beer.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
you can also do the painful process of decoction mashing, I don't know how much darker it would make it, but it basically carmelizes the sugars in the wort and will darken it too. You take out some portion of the mash, raise to boiling, and then pour back into the mash.. Other ideas?
Or just do a kettle caramelization--take 1 gallon of the first runnings, boil down to 1/2 gallon or even less if you want more color, and then recombine with the rest of the wort and do your boil as usual.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply