Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I want to add Lemon for Summer Shandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
bakerbock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do you add the kool-aid to the boil with the priming sugar, or straight to the beer without boiling?

"I never met a beer that I didn't drink"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
262andbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I bottled I boiled the priming sugar in the microwave and added the koolaide to that solution as it cooled. - that worked well.
In the keg I heated water, added koolaide allowed to cool to 150 or 120, and dumped it in the keg. Not as good.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
bakerbock
Recipes 

I am going to bottle so hopefully I get the same results you did. I am putting it in a fizzy yellow lawnmower beer I just made for some friends. I might just do it for half the batch just in case it doesn't turn out. It seems like most go with a wheat beer for the shandy. Truth be told, it's for a girl I'm trying to impress. Her beer pallette is pretty much for BMC so I think it should probably work out pretty well.

"I never met a beer that I didn't drink"

Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
262andbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good luck with the brew and the girl ;-).

Old 03-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
manortc
Recipes 

Several years ago, I made a beer and then added 1 bottle of lemon flavored torani syrup to the secondary fermentation. I was new and used a kit. I don't remember which one, but probably some basic amber ale kit. I used 1 cup of honey when I bottled it and let it sit for about a month in the bottles. The result was very good for one of my first batches ever. Had about the right amount of lemon flavor to be enjoyed sitting under a nice shade tree on a hot summer day.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
MSOE_HomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manortc View Post
Several years ago, I made a beer and then added 1 bottle of lemon flavored torani syrup to the secondary fermentation. I was new and used a kit. I don't remember which one, but probably some basic amber ale kit. I used 1 cup of honey when I bottled it and let it sit for about a month in the bottles. The result was very good for one of my first batches ever. Had about the right amount of lemon flavor to be enjoyed sitting under a nice shade tree on a hot summer day.
I have the idea of making a 2.5 gallon batch of beer, then after the yeast did it's job neutralizing it with campden. After the yeast is good and dead I'm thinking about kegging the beer with 2.5 gallons of organic lemonade.

Do you think it'll work/taste like the real deal? Or even taste ok?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #17
manortc
Recipes 

Not sure how that would work. But to give it a try, just take a beer similar to the one you plan on halving with lemonade and pour yourself half a glass. Top off with organic lemonade and see what you get. I think for me it would be too much lemonade, but I'm not a fan of lemonade, just a hint of lemon.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #18
MSOE_HomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manortc
Not sure how that would work. But to give it a try, just take a beer similar to the one you plan on halving with lemonade and pour yourself half a glass. Top off with organic lemonade and see what you get. I think for me it would be too much lemonade, but I'm not a fan of lemonade, just a hint of lemon.
I could be wrong but isn't summer shandy a 50/50 split of beer and lemonade?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
262andbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To each his own. .
When I started my deal I wanted a 5% beer with the lemonade flavor added so i went with the dry Koolade.
If you are mixing 50/50 and want a 5% beer you would need to brew a 10% beer.

This year I just need to figure out a way to keep the lemonade flavor from settling to the bottom of the keg.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts

Default Camden tablets

Never used camden tablets. I assume that is to kill the yeast from further eating? Instead of lemondade packs or kool aid, any thoughts on crystal light lemonade that is artifically sweetened?

Anyone look at the lemonade flavor of the Lorann Oils. Unilke others in its lineup, that one is NOT soluble in water. Any idea how that would result if it isn't soluble?

Quick Reply