Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I want to add Lemon for Summer Shandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
Waboom!!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I want to add Lemon for Summer Shandy

I have been home brewing for a while and use extracts/ steep-extract recipes. I would like to add lemon as a flavor to a brew, to resemble my favorite beer of all time... Leinenkugels Summer Shandy. Can anyone help me. I realize there may not be a clone, but I at least want to try adding lemon or lemon-ade flavor to an Ale or even a lager . TIA

Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
brett

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend simply adding a slice of lemon to the beer after you have poured the glass.

Primary 1: House Ale (yay!)
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein + Blueberry
Kegged/Drinking: Partigyle Brown Ale
Conditioning: New House Barley Wine
Conditioning: Ghetto canned kit bitter (Surprisingly getting better w/ age)
Just Finished: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up next: More House Ale ?!?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Checkout my recipes. It's the only one I posted so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

A "true" clone would be difficult, because if I recall right, the beer is actually force-carbed and blended with real lemonade - to replicate this, you would have to use Campden to kill the yeast, sweeten, keg, and carb, so you couldn't do it with bottles.

You could always fill bottles with a BMBF after forcing it though. FWIW.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
Waboom!!
Recipes 

Heres what I tried. I made a 5 gallon hefeweisen recipe but used Nottingham dry yeast instead for (cleanness) and added lemon zest to secondary (from 10 small organic lemons) and then bottled with 4 packets of lemonade Kool-Aid (just the dry mix, not mixed up with water) + 2/3 cup corn sugar. Its not exactly like the "Shandinator" but it was close and was really good!!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Hey, Kool-Aid is a great idea, sorry I didn't think of that!!! Cheers mate!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
comj49
Recipes 

Having tried that beer after attempting to make it myself (didn't even come close), it defenitley has a slight bananna flavor to it like a bavarian heffe, yet the strong lemon flavor masks most of the yeast flavor. I'm not sure about the kool-aid, but adding lemons to the secondary gives it more of a tart/bitter flavor vs. actual lemon flavoring. Maybe try to use lemon extract when you bottle? I even recall the label describing it as a Weiss beer, which usually has that bananna/clove flavor to it.

Lois: "Oh, my God! You can only play the piano when you're drunk!"
Peter: "Now that's not true! I can also vomit, fall down and make dirty calls to your sister when I'm drunk!"

Primary#1- Pale Ale
Primary#2- empty
Primary#3- empty
Bottle conditioning- Citrus Wheat
Drinking-Mild, Kolsch, Sweet Stout
Upcoming- Red Rocket clone, robust porter

Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A shandy is a lovely drink on a hot summer day, but I find they're best when mixed fresh rather than Leinie's interpretation.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

LK's Honey Weiss has no esters to it, it's a pretty plain-jane honey wheat beer... Pretty clean. I've never noted the banana taste to the Summer Shandy though. I don't think LK uses any "real" hefe yeasts...

Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
262andbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bringing back a very old thread but in case anyone is interested: I did a side by side of an "organic" lemon option and a Kool-Aid option.

I brewed one Hef batch and ran it through primary fermentation, and then racked off half to the bottling bucket with 2 packets of the concentrated (unsweetened) lemonade Kool-Aid. At the same time I added juice from 6 lemons and about 4 oz of dehydrated lemon rinds to the remaining half and left it for a week before bottling.

I had a few people try them side by side a few weeks later. The general consensus was that the kool-aid version had a more distinct and sharper lemonade flavor, the 'real' version was more subtle and generally still enjoyable, but perhaps a little "vegital". Everyone liked both, but it was about a 80/20 split on the preference for the Kool-aid version. Seemed like a win for me, it was way easier, faster, and about 10% of the cost.

So I brewed up another batch, but this time for kegging. Brewed, fermented for 2 in primary, racked to keg with 4 pkts of Kool-aid. Conditioned in the basement for a week. Hooked up in the keezer. --
Guess what? ....
I dumped the first half pint of phlem.
Next pint was sour. Really strong.
Next pint the next night, still sour, starting to wonder if I actually made a sour beer, not happy.
Next pint a few nights later, it was great, actually what I was looking for.
Shared with a few friends for awhile and was met with smiles.
Then the lemon started to fade.
Now it is just another wheat beer. Nothing special at all, and my 4th of July jewel is just going to be wheat beer.

So what did I learn?
1) If you are bottling Kool-aid is perfect - 4pkts in a 5 gallon batch seems great, just add it along with priming sugar. - enjoy.
2) If you are kegging - Kool-aid is not a good option. It settles out in the bottom of the keg and you get a few pints of Lemony toxic nasty, and then after that you get very little lemon action at all.

I am actually going to add one more pkt of Kool-aid on the 4th assuming that it will not all settle out immediately and will give a bit of shandy for a day. I just hope we finish the keg that day. I will add it in some hot water and hope that it mixes in as it settles.

That's it for tonight. Enjoy the holiday.

Quick Reply