The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I think I don't trust Windsor...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Waboom!!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I think I don't trust Windsor...

I brew quite regularly and almost always use dry yeasts. Now that I have brewed with Windsor a several times I have seen a reliable trend. Fast and hard for about 24 hours then it gives up before intended gravity has been reached. But when swirled or agitated and/or energizer is added, it will finish making the beer. It tastes good but I no longer trust it. Do you agree? Nottingham is way better it seems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Never used it before but I can say Ive never had bad results with Nottingham.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I hate notty...especially the never flocculating "krauzen kurdels"....To me it never clears.....I had so much crap come through my autosiphon when bottling...luckily I have a dip tube in the bottling bucket, so it kept most of it from getting in my bottles.

I just brewed with Windsor for the first time (that porter turned out fine), then I washed and harvest the yeast and just pitched some of it into an ordinary bitter...just to see what it would do...I had only about 6 hours lag time (but even during that time I could see a layer of krauzen forming) then it took off fine. But I will say it has to be one of the ugliest a$$ krauzens I have ever seen......

Now I aerate with an o2 stone for 2 solid minutes. SO that might overcome any tendency to stall...we'll see.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 07-29-2008 at 02:33 AM.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #4
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is nothing wrong with Windsor, its not supposed to finish as dry as Nottingham. If you're wanting it to finish dry and you're using Windsor then you're using the wrong yeast. Now if you want to leave behind some sweetness and gravity in the finished beer Windsor is the right choice.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with Windsor, its not supposed to finish as dry as Nottingham. If you're wanting it to finish dry and you're using Windsor then you're using the wrong yeast. Now if you want to leave behind some sweetness and gravity in the finished beer Windsor is the right choice.
agreed...and revvy, my nottingham has ALWAYS finished very clear. it is just that, a highly attenuative yeast that finishes clear and flocculates well.

There are always chunks on the top that get sucked up into the secondary, tho, but they settle out quickly. perhaps you are only using a primary? it seems to always leave a layer from the krausen so perhaps a secondary (or more time) is necessary for complete flocculation with notty.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
agreed...and revvy, my nottingham has ALWAYS finished very clear. it is just that, a highly attenuative yeast that finishes clear and flocculates well.

There are always chunks on the top that get sucked up into the secondary, tho, but they settle out quickly. perhaps you are only using a primary? it seems to always leave a layer from the krausen so perhaps a secondary (or more time) is necessary for complete flocculation with notty.

Yeah, remember I am the king of month long primaries So if I had racked it over it would have been better then?

If I recall I have only used it twice...once back when I was a noob and I always secondaried (and I remember the cottage cheese krauzen, but not taking it with me)....and on an experimental 2.5 gallon batch a couple weeks ago....that was the one that surprised me with so many curdles on top, that went with me to the bottling bucket, as opposed to on the yeastcake...but being that it was an experiment, I only left it in primary for an extra 3-4 days after fermentation had ceased....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

yeah, i know the curdles you're talking about. i've only kegged a couple of times without the secondary when using nottingham, and it had sat for well over a month. i think if you used a secondary, anything sucked up would settle out and you wouldn't have a problem.

look at that, i found a reason you MUST use a secondary!

(i'm sure a longer primary would EVENTUALLY fix that, too )

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like using Windsor for some of my mild ale recipes since it attenuates less and I usually want that residual sweetness. I found that I needed to include a bit of yeast nutrient in my brews with that yeast as I had the same problems you did. I add it in at pitching time, after I started doing that it would rock on through to the end just like Notty.

Oh and Notty FTW! That particular yeast army rocks and it's in probably 75% of my brews!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
earlytimes
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first few batches using windsor all finished high - about 1.020 or maybe a little lower, although one finished at 1.022. I hesitated to bottle that one, but it turned out fine. My last batch with windsor finished at 1.010! I couldn't believe it, but like the OP said, I was swirling the fermenter just about every day to keep that yeast working. I'm ok with it and will be using it again, but not on a regular basis.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #10
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

mine are clear after two weeks in primary with notty. it forms a solid yeast cake on the bottom that you really have to swirl to break up.

point being, if you are getting hazy beer with not. then check out your chilling process post boil and get it cool faster. irish moss works wonders too. those big clumps are synonymous with a highly flocculating yeast, one that clears, especially if you chill it bulk.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by uglygoat; 07-29-2008 at 03:37 AM.

Quick Reply