Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I was "misinformed" by Jamil - (re: "bugs")

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Seawolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I was "misinformed" by Jamil - (re: "bugs")

I stopped in my LHBS on my way home from work today and asked about my Flanders Red. I mentioned that my pellicle wasn't really forming, and that it had been a few weeks. He asked when I pitched the Roeselare, and I told him, "in the secondary. I pitched Safale US-05 in the primary". He told me that that was a "mistake". I explained that I used Jamil's recipe, but he told me I was misinformed. I guess Jamil doesn't know what he's talking about

I should have kept my mouth shut I guess.

I guess Evan! is the resident expert, and I should direct this question towards him, but feel free to chime in if you have any experience with brett.

When pitching Roeselare into the secondary, how long does it typically take to see a pellicle form? I have some small, milky bubbles, but nothing substantial. I know it hasn't been very long, but I'm waiting in anticipation to see some nasties growing in there!

Thanks a lot!

cheers,
Zach

Primary - Bluebird Bitter, Negra Modelo
Secondary - Flanders Red
Drinking - Independence Pale Ale V1.0, Trappist Style Dubbel, Dunkelweizen, Saison, Fat Tire, SNPA
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I pitched Roselare in the primary without any other yeast and it took over a month to form a pellicle. As with most things beer and even more so when dealing with "bugs" patience is required. I'm sure your beer will be fine.

Craig

Last edited by CBBaron; 08-05-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Seawolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
I pitched Roselare in the primary without any other yeast and it took over a month to form a pellicle. As with most things beer and even more so when dealing with "bugs" patience is required. I'm sure your beer will be fine.

Craig
I know it will be fine. I've just started to question the headspace in the carboy, is it enough? My oak peg, is it delivering enough O2? Bugs, are they doing their job? Also, should I pull out a few quarts to let sour in a growler?

Primary - Bluebird Bitter, Negra Modelo
Secondary - Flanders Red
Drinking - Independence Pale Ale V1.0, Trappist Style Dubbel, Dunkelweizen, Saison, Fat Tire, SNPA
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
chrisholst
Recipes 

"A few weeks" and you're expecting a pellicle? Expect a couple of months before one forms, and then another couple of months before it drops. Roeselare needs 6-9 months before you'd even want to taste it. It's totally murky before it finishes. Pitching Roeselare late may affect how much acidity you get... but the pellicle will take its time regardless.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

With the title of this thread, I was expecting a good story about how you called into the show and Jamil gave you bad information. I guess I should have paid more attention to the air quotes.

I swear, on one show, I heard him pronounce draught (draft) like "drought" when bragging about having been to England and drinking the beer there.

But that doesn't help your poor pelican or whatever, so back to topic.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 08-06-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
I swear, on one show, I heard him pronounce draught (draft) like "drought" when bragging about having been to England and drinking the beer there.
Yeah, he totally did this, and John Plise kind of called him out on it, or at the least repeated it a bit confused, but he just kept on going.

Obviously the man knows how to brew a good beer, he has won awards for every category, and obviously he knows the style guidelines to a T, so I trust pretty much all of the advice he gives as being good and i defer to his authority on most of my decisions in this here home brew game. But one of the amusing parts for me when listening to the podcast is just hearing how everyone just defers to everything he says, and he is like a steamroller of beer knowledge. it amuses the hell out of me, actually.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The flanders we did according to his method took about 4 months to form a heavy pellicle and a few more to take on any noticable souring. It was damned tasty last I checked.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 AM   #8
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've made the same recipe from Jamil's book and it took over a month to form a pellicle. Sounds like the norm to me. I hope to keg it up in a month or so.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 AM   #9
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Personal I never under stood the pitch the cali ale, and then the blend, mine was done with just the blend. Course I don't consider myself a follower of Jamil.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 AM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

If you listen to the show, he explains.

In his recipe Jamil's going for something like Rodenbach, the standard, bended version. The purpose of pitching the blend after is that only the residual sugars left over after fermentation will be consumed by the bugs. If you want something closer to the Rodenbach Grande Cru then pitch just the blend and it will be more sour.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply