Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I Have The Yeast, All I Need Is a Recipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I Have The Yeast, All I Need Is a Recipe...

So, after the debacle with that 3-day-lag-time-Dubbel, I've got this mason jar full of awesome yeast from a local brewpub. It's a wacko mix of English Ale, German Hefe and Bavarian Lager strains

Far be it from me to let a mason jar full of perfectly good yeast go to waste...so I made a starter this morning and mixed the yeast in. I'm planning on brewing something tonight or tomorrow morning, a partial-mash something-or-other. All I need now are some suggestions for what to make with this crazy yeast mix. My ingredient inventory is pretty diverse right now, so let me know what you think I should do...thanks!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Looks like you're headed to banana steam beer city! Maybe a wheat/steam beer? Wheam?

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

I was looking around on the Recipator, and I saw something that caught my eye: Winter Ales/Warmers. Ginger root seems to be a good adjunct to use, as does honey. So, I'm putting together a Honey Ginger Winter Warmer in ProMash right now, gonna see how it feels. I figure, with a high-grav spiced beer like this, a crazy yeast mixture would be fun, because I'm not so married to the strict style guidelines. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to add, in addition to ginger & honey, lemme know. Thanks!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
MattD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I was looking around on the Recipator, and I saw something that caught my eye: Winter Ales/Warmers. Ginger root seems to be a good adjunct to use, as does honey. So, I'm putting together a Honey Ginger Winter Warmer in ProMash right now, gonna see how it feels. I figure, with a high-grav spiced beer like this, a crazy yeast mixture would be fun, because I'm not so married to the strict style guidelines. If anyone has any suggestions on what else to add, in addition to ginger & honey, lemme know. Thanks!
What do you think about clove or allspice? Coriander and orange peel might be good too. Just depends on how spicy you want it. Crazy thought, but has anyone around here tried making a pepper beer? Not a chili beer, but black pepper...

Old 10-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD
What do you think about clove or allspice? Coriander and orange peel might be good too. Just depends on how spicy you want it. Crazy thought, but has anyone around here tried making a pepper beer? Not a chili beer, but black pepper...
Funny you should mention...I did indeed add cloves and allspice to the recipe. I even thought about black pepper, just because Allspice, Cloves and Black Pepper were the main ingredients in some AWESOME molassas spice cookies I made this week, and I was thinking about a beer that would emulate them. This one won't, but it'll still be good. I've never added black pepper, but I'm curious too...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply