Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I grow sweet sorghum organically

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Ours is the sweet sorghum like in the top picture.

Thank you so much for all this great info. I am printing it out for the family, all the more reason to get it planted this year. If anyone is interested in a seed head to try to grow in your area, I can't legally ship it outside the US, but inside the US, you just pay the shipping and I'll send it, I have extra, well, some extra for a few people. It's very viable seed, over 90% germination rate in the right conditions.

Obviously the easy part is growing it, processing it is the hard part. We chop it down and other farms mix it with stuff to feed their livestock. That's all we're using it for now. I'd love to see it used to make beer!
~BobbiLynn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Your picture looks like the grain that I successfully malted. I would be interested in obtaining some as it is a special order item from the local hippie co-op. I am in BC but I could provide a shipping address in North East Washington. Could I possibly get a kilo of it?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #13
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Could I possibly get a kilo of it?
I just sent you a private message!

Mine is not the same variety, the heads look smaller and still have the black hulls on them, but...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Have you ever made any syrup? Cutting the canes, deleaving, deheading, pushing the canes, boiling down the juice?
Not yet, but only because we just started growing the sorghum last year when conditions were so bad and it was the only thing that would grow. My husband has been sick, we will do this(make syrup-that was the original plan) and I'm going to get him to join this forum when he gets better. If nothing else, just so he can learn about growing some good ingredients for you all. He's not much of a beer drinker, or drinker at all, but a good farmer that can grow anything given half a chance.

Quick Reply