Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > I can't stand Nitrogen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1588 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 2881

Default I can't stand Nitrogen

I have had Old Speckled Hen from the bottle a few times.

I was in an Ale House and ordered a glass.

It was carbed with nitro. I have since learned that this is sometimes done, but at the time I was very disappointed.

Is it just me or does the nitro constant foam mask the flavor?

I thought that I hated Guinness, but now I am thinking that maybe it is just the nitro that I hate.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I think certain beers it can mask the flavor, as in Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale. I've had it on tap both regular and on nitro. The nitro was definitely more subdued, but I was very intrigued, and really enjoyed it. In the case of Left Hand's Milk Stout, I definitely prefer the nitro. It's more smooth, creamy, and is almost like chocolate milk. I think the roast and bitterness gets subdued, but the sweetness and chocolate really shine through on nitro. Try a few different beers if you can find them on nitro. It's great when you can find the same beer not on nitro to compare it to.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I've had a lot of different beers on nitro and I have a stout faucet at home. In my experience, that serving method really rounds off any "sharp edges" of a beer. So, if you take something without a lot of flavor and put it through a stout faucet, it's flavor seems even lighter.

Try an IPA through a stout faucet. You'll see exactly what I mean. The sharp bitterness goes away and you're left with smooth hop flavor. At least my taste buds see it that way.

This is why I only put pretty aggressive stuff on my own stout faucet.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds like I am right. OSH is not an "aggressive" beer in my opinion, and so was disapointing on nitro.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Personally, I've never liked it with hoppy beers, but love it on certain styles. I really like Belhaven Scottish Ale in the nitro can. I just put in a nitro setup, but haven't pushed anything with it yet other than mead, through a wine faucet.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
dyqik
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OSH is supposed to be a cask real ale, and should be served with out much head at around 55F. It shouldn't have anything other than a thin scum of very loose foam on top. Nitro will produce too much head and kill all the hop flavours and prevent the desirable very slightly oxidised character of a cask real ale. Of course, getting it served this way in the US is pretty unlikely as shipping cask beers across the Atlantic is non-trivial, and there's probably not a huge market for not quite cold, somewhat flat beer...

I think the bottle conditioned version tastes somewhat different to the cask version - it's a little more carbonated, and tends to have more hop aroma as the head is bit bigger, but less hop flavour. Obviously it doesn't have the slight oxidation either. (based on bottles and draught pints bought in Oxford, after Greene King moved the Morland beers from Oxford to Bury St. Edmund).

Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyqik View Post
OSH is supposed to be a cask real ale, and should be served with out much head at around 55F. It shouldn't have anything other than a thin scum of very loose foam on top. Nitro will produce too much head and kill all the hop flavours and prevent the desirable very slightly oxidised character of a cask real ale.

I think the bottle conditioned version tastes somewhat different to the cask version - it's a little more carbonated, and tends to have more hop aroma as the head is bit bigger, but less hop flavour. Obviously it doesn't have the slight oxidation either. (based on bottles and draught pints bought in Oxford, after Greene King moved the Morland beers from Oxford to Bury St. Edmund).
I wonder who decided it should be nitro? I am sure that some bar owners have nitro for guinness and are trigger happy to try new brews on it.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I had a pale ale in Maine that was on tap in both gases. I found the nitro one to be a totally muted, uninteresting version of the CO2 one. I think it works for a beer with some malt and specialty grain character, but I found that it killed the hop.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I hate nitro served beers as well. Stouts, ipas, whatever... If you want to ruin it put it on nitro.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1960 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

I've enjoyed a few nitro beers. Mainly only stouts, though.

The IPAs, etc. I've had on nitro were nowhere near as good as the regular versions IMO. It's not a selling point for me.

Quick Reply