I added heavy cream to my wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this beer turn out?

• Move aside Sam Adams theres a new beer in town!

• Strange, not objectionable, what the heck am I drinking?

• Well its not harmful, maybe the frat house down the street wants it.

• Cheese-beer induced food poisoning

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just bottled it, I gave it to 4 other people as taste testers, and I got rave reviews!!!!!! This stuff is great, it is thick and creamy partially from the bananas in it, it tastes very good. I estimate it is 10% alcohol right now. The Target is 12.5% which with some time in the bottle I think is very possible. I added about 40% more priming sugar in order to up the carbonation and see if we can have some head on this beer.

I'm pretty new, but I think having enough fermentables in the bottle to up the ABV from 10% to 12.5% means there's enough CO2 produced to blow up bottles. From what I gathered, adding priming sugar has a negligible effect on ABV, but enough effect to add carbonation.

I'm pretty new, but I think having enough fermentables in the bottle to up the ABV from 10% to 12.5% means there's enough CO2 produced to blow up bottles. From what I gathered, adding priming sugar has a negligible effect on ABV, but enough effect to add carbonation.

You'd be correct but it does tend to take more sugar than normal to carb a 10% beer. I think he'll be ok. If not I want to see pictures though...

:ban:

So when this becomes a regular brew for you i need the name of the microbrewery u create so i can try some ive dreamed about the taste for weeks

thejakester said:
I just bottled it, I gave it to 4 other people as taste testers, and I got rave reviews!!!!!! This stuff is great, it is thick and creamy partially from the bananas in it, it tastes very good. I estimate it is 10% alcohol right now. The Target is 12.5% which with some time in the bottle I think is very possible. I added about 40% more priming sugar in order to up the carbonation and see if we can have some head on this beer.

I love this thread but i am having such a hard time believing this tastes good ...... this is simply based on what is in this beer and what has been added and done to it since its inception.

I will not be convinced it tastes decent until someone on the forum (or myself) tries it and confirms this......

If you really did this you're going to have 2 cases of bottle bombs on your hands, they simply can't handle that many volumes of carbonation. I sure hope you didn't really just do this and ruin the batch.

That first set of picture made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I can't stand bananas... bananas in my beer? Heck no. But I give you props for creativity. I definitely want to see the results.

I would calculate the volumes of CO2 you expect from the amount of sugar you added (try this). If it's over 3 volumes I would vent each bottle by slightly prying up the cap once or twice over the next week. Wear gloves and eye protection when you do, and store these somewhere that potential bottle grenades won't harm anyone!!

I love these kinds of threads on HBT. It is so interesting seeing all the crazy ideas people come up with. I am still in the stage where I just want to make drinkable beer so I havent experimented too much.

It would be so funny if after all this he ends up with bottle bombs.

Hmm, bottle bombs sound bad! I haven't tested it with the hydrometer recently, so its probley higher then 10% now that I think about it. Well if there's stil too much sugar in there then I guess an explosion could be cool. My plan is if one blows, ill quick throw a party and drink the rest. It would make for a great party if bottles randomly exploded! We would all where safety glasses, and who ever finds the grenade has to take a shot. Look, problem solved!

I think he'll be safe on the bottle bombs, fermentation should have completed long ago and an extra 40% of prime won't hurt in this brew. Did you measure the FG on this? My guess is you stalled at around 10% abv. Also, it seems that by skimming off the curds from the cream you've essentially removed it and have ended up with the same final product as if you'd never added it in the first place...which is probably for the best.

Ok, a party in which we all drink beer that had heavy cream in the wort while dodging broken glass....

And here I thought my idea of nude Bjork in a big bowl of Pho was awesome...

Hmm, bottle bombs sound bad! I haven't tested it with the hydrometer recently, so its probley higher then 10% now that I think about it. Well if there's stil too much sugar in there then I guess an explosion could be cool. My plan is if one blows, ill quick throw a party and drink the rest. It would make for a great party if bottles randomly exploded! We would all where safety glasses, and who ever finds the grenade has to take a shot. Look, problem solved!

im kinda jealous of that party :D

I have never found higher gravity beers to need more priming sugar... Can someone explain how that works? As far as I know x amount of sugar produces x amount of Co2

I say sacrifice one bottle to check the gravity.

I added champagne yeast to a mead after the wine yeast pooped out and over the course of 4 months it went from 1.015ish to 1.000. You really don't want to lose the whole batch.

I have to say, it took some stones/serious creativity to attempt this on your third ever brew. I'm new to this myself with my first ever brew and first wine still in primary but my hat is off to you however it turns out. Subscribed :)

Set up a live feed webcam of the bottles so we can watch it settle or blow up or do whatever it decides to do.

I would like to arrange something where Yooper gets a bottle and does a live webcam tasting. I'll pay the shipping costs. ;)

In other news, now in the primary is a s'moored theme beer made with 2 kinds of 2 row barley, one carmel one lighter, flaked wheat and 2lbs of raw honey ( added on day 3), cinimon, 1.5 lbs of brown sugar and a few ounces of vanilla to simulate the graham cracker taste, a bunch of coco powder, and a 1 pound of lactose to add a marshmellow sweetness. The wort tastes great, and much like s'moores! I used UK fuggles in an hour boil for the hops.

CreamyGoodness said:
Sent you a pm. Is it expensive to ship? Should I send you a check to cover shipping?

If you do this you have to YouTube it. It's what's right.

I'll do it so long as you all promise to limit the jokes about my beer gut and balding head.

I might have to have someone who knows more about beer share it with me, so you get a real idea.

No jokes about beer gut and balding head- I promise. You guys never make fun of mine, so I won't make fun of yours. :D

I can't wait for the tasting! PLEASE post a video and provide a link here!

Ya, I'm excited too see what people other then my roomates and random house guests think of it. I think it will be less bananna-y then you guys expect, I added a lot of banannas, but not as much flavor was imparted as I would have liked. I think that those proud 5% that voted that my beer will be great will be vindicated by this you tube video!

haha I just read through the entire thread and you have me wanting to try something like this (even though I threw up a little at your description of the foamy alcoholic cheese stuff that you ate).

Subscribed.

Back