How's this for a Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
I had a really tasty Red Ale this weekend at the Calistoga Inn & Brewery, in Calistoga,CA. I want to try and make something similar but all I know is that they use Centennial & Cascade. Here's what I've come up with...

Target OG 1.055

8 3/4lbs Vienna
1/2lb Crystal 120
1/2lb Wheat

3/4oz Centennial @ 60
1/2oz Cascade @ 20
1/2oz Cascade @ 5
1/2oz Centennial @ FO
For about 40 IBU's

I was thinking of maybe adding a 1/4 of Biscuit Malt or Crystal 40 to the grain bill but I'm not sure. I really want to get a nice Red color on this one. My Arrogant Bastard clone has nice Red color to it using just 2 row & C120. Anyhow, What do you think? Thanks in advance:mug:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - View by Issue - May/Jun 2009 - Vienna Lager: Tips from the Pros

Crystal 40 Should Do ya.. If you want to make it a darker... I have made 3 Diffrent Vienna Beers they all Used, Vienna, Crystal 20,40,or60, Melanoiden, Munich... Or a Combo Of...

Hops -Tettnenger, Cluster, Sazz, Goldings.. Again a Combo Of..

Very cool, thanks for the article.

Reading that, I'm thinking this for the grain bill now..

8 3/4lb Vienna
1/2lb Crystal 40
1/2lb Wheat
3/4 oz Black Malt

Same Hops, ferment w/Wyeast Kolsch 2565 at about 60*f or a little colder if I can.

:mug:

If you are going for a true "Irish Red" I think your hop schedule will give you too much hop flavor and aroma. Generally Irish Reds have low to no hop flavor or aroma - just bitterness - BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 09

But if all you're looking for is a tasty beer that happens to be a reddish color then I think it looks good. :mug:

EDIT: actually just read the rest of the posts - looks like you're not going for an Irish Red, so disregard my first statement! <to self>read first. then post</to self>

If you are going for a true "Irish Red" I think your hop schedule will give you too much hop flavor and aroma. Generally Irish Reds have low to no hop flavor or aroma - just bitterness - BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 09

But if all you're looking for is a tasty beer that happens to be a reddish color then I think it looks good. :mug:

EDIT: actually just read the rest of the posts - looks like you're not going for an Irish Red, so disregard my first statement! <to self>read first. then post</to self>

Yep, No Irishness in this one, but I appreciate the input. I'm really focused on the color of this one though, probably not the right reason to make a beer but ,WTH. Should come out pretty tasty though. The LHBS was out of Kolsch, so I'll just wind up using the US05 that I have left over from my last batch. Sunday can't get here soon enough:mug:

:mad:
I just realized I forgot to ask the LHBS to crush the grain, what a friggin' idiot. I gotta quit BS'ing with them when I go in there. Sheesh. oh well time for a Racer 5.:drunk:

Back