Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hows my IPA look?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Irisndfan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 176
Default Hows my IPA look?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)

0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min)
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (30 min)

0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min)


2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale


Kind of just made this up in 15 minutes. Any suggestions would be great. I'm planning on partial mashing the 1 lb. of 2 row, don't like to just use extract...

__________________
Irisndfan2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,667
Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)

0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min)
0.25 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (30 min)

0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min)


2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale


Kind of just made this up in 15 minutes. Any suggestions would be great. I'm planning on partial mashing the 1 lb. of 2 row, don't like to just use extract...
Why the one pound of two-row? I mean, I know you want to do a PM but if you want to do a PM, use more grain. One pound of two-row is like one grain of salt in a dish. Not going to do a thing at all! But with a little more, you could have a good PM. More two-row certainly, but possibly some other malts, too. You could use a little crystal or a little aromatic malt, or a little victory malt, or a little amber malt, etc, depending on what you want in the grain bill.

The hopping looks interesting. I thnk the sterling will be totally lost with the intense grapefruity amarillo. I rarely use 30 minute hops additions- you don't get much flavor from them, not like you do with 15 minute additions, but you don't get much bitterness from then either. I'd get rid of that addition, and either add more hops to the 60 minute addition if you need more bitterness, or more later in the boil for flavor/aroma.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Irisndfan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Why the one pound of two-row? I mean, I know you want to do a PM but if you want to do a PM, use more grain. One pound of two-row is like one grain of salt in a dish. Not going to do a thing at all! But with a little more, you could have a good PM. More two-row certainly, but possibly some other malts, too. You could use a little crystal or a little aromatic malt, or a little victory malt, or a little amber malt, etc, depending on what you want in the grain bill.

The hopping looks interesting. I thnk the sterling will be totally lost with the intense grapefruity amarillo. I rarely use 30 minute hops additions- you don't get much flavor from them, not like you do with 15 minute additions, but you don't get much bitterness from then either. I'd get rid of that addition, and either add more hops to the 60 minute addition if you need more bitterness, or more later in the boil for flavor/aroma.
Appreciate the input, This is only my fourth recipe, first of this style so I am very new to making them. I think I am going to do more of a partial mash like you suggested. I'll have to adjust the hops a bunch. Thanks again.
__________________
Irisndfan2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,667
Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
Appreciate the input, This is only my fourth recipe, first of this style so I am very new to making them. I think I am going to do more of a partial mash like you suggested. I'll have to adjust the hops a bunch. Thanks again.
I don't think I helped much! It's got a solid base but I'd like to see some other malts in there if you want to do a partial mash. Otherwise, it's a "bland" grainbill. Even something like Munich malt could give it a bit more malt backbone if you don't want to go with a sweeter malt like crystal malt.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Irisndfan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 176
Default

so i decided to add 1 lb of munic malt and I want to add some victory malt as well, however i don't want this beer to have too much of that biscuit flavor, how much do you think i should add? half a pound? also I am going to change up the hops completely. I want this to be an all-american hops blend. Any suggestions?

__________________
Irisndfan2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Irisndfan2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 176
Default

alright heres what I got.

4.00 lb Light Dry Extract
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Victory Malt

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU

0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Still a little confused on how to create the hop squedule. I guess all i can do is experiment haha

__________________
Irisndfan2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hows this sound? MmmBrew Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-09-2011 02:42 AM
Hows this for a Belgian Pale ale? cheschire Recipes/Ingredients 6 05-26-2010 06:37 PM
Hows this Hop Schedule for an IPA? Chello Recipes/Ingredients 5 03-17-2008 07:23 PM
Hows this Belgian Look? inkslinger82 Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-30-2008 03:28 AM
Hows this look. Ryanh1801 Recipes/Ingredients 5 05-17-2007 08:08 PM