New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to train my yeast to eat gluten free. (They are so picky)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Lurpinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to train my yeast to eat gluten free. (They are so picky)

So,

As some of you may (or may not) have seen, I have attempted 2 GF beers so far, the first one, with mostly sorghum extract, and the second one with mostly tapioca extract. The fermentation seems to take off quickly (within hours of pitching yeast DRY), but it then decides to start lagging until I have to step in about two weeks into fermentation when it stops. I talked a guy at my LHBS, and he suggested that I boil up some sorghum and water, cool it down, pitch one packet of dry yeast & nutrient, let it take off for a day or so, then pitch that when I have brewed and cooled down my wort. Any expert advice on if this would work or not? I would like to hear your ideas.

Thanks,

Ian

Primary: Nada
Drinking: EPIC brewing's "The Glutenator"
Aging: Nada
Planning: Another GF Belgian, an EPIC Glutenator clone, a Ginger-Apple hard cider

Please join the Gluten Free Brewers Group
Everyone is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
Printenction is the key to being protectef onm you, Maybve if you are are ful you wont; throw up like oth er someone did. I thonk you need another beer possibljy/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Making a starter from sorghum is a very good idea. As yeast grow, they adapt to the nutrients and sugars available. You might also look into yeast washing and pitching on the cake. Both techniques take advantage of multiple generations of growth and adaptation.

Ultimately, you might evolve the sorghum equivalent of Cry Havoc or Pacman.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Lurpinator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Making a starter from sorghum is a very good idea. As yeast grow, they adapt to the nutrients and sugars available. You might also look into yeast washing and pitching on the cake. Both techniques take advantage of multiple generations of growth and adaptation.

Ultimately, you might evolve the sorghum equivalent of Cry Havoc or Pacman.
Do you think I should use the proportionate amount of sorghum to the starter size, or dilute it a little bit? Also, are there any dry yeast strains that are tougher than others or might work best for this? Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance.

Primary: Nada
Drinking: EPIC brewing's "The Glutenator"
Aging: Nada
Planning: Another GF Belgian, an EPIC Glutenator clone, a Ginger-Apple hard cider

Please join the Gluten Free Brewers Group
Everyone is welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
Printenction is the key to being protectef onm you, Maybve if you are are ful you wont; throw up like oth er someone did. I thonk you need another beer possibljy/

Quick Reply