Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to scale ABV in ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Douglefish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to scale ABV in ESB

I was reading the thread regarding BierMuncher's Red Hook ESB clone and it brought up a question. He mentioned that he wanted a beer a little less in alcohol and would make up for the mouth feel lost by increasing the mash temp. That roughly makes sense to me. My question is if you have a recipe that takes X lbs of base malt and you want to either increase or decrease the ABV, what do you do with the specialty grain? Would you scale that by the same percentage? I know that there is no tride and true answer, just looking for general recommendations.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
barleynhops
Recipes 

I would simply scale it up or down on a percentage basis.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-Dave Barry-

Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You cannot scale back the O.G. and still end up with the same beer. It can come close, but it won't look anything like the original grist ratios.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I don't scale the specialty grains or the hops. If you just change the base grain 10-15%, you'll have a very similar beer. However, if you are talking about moving the ABV 20% or more, then you're into a totally different beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply