Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How much lemongrass in a wheat beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
rmolledo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

how did that lemongrass wit ever turn out? I'm thinking about trying one too. I'll probably peel it, cut it in 2 inch chunks, smash them, and steep them with my grains. In soups they call for the lemongrass first before the water even is to a boil. Ginger, Lemongrass, Coriander, lime zest, possibly kaffir lime leaves. It would be like a Thai Ale. could be good who knows...

Keg1: Cocoa Beach IIPA (est. 8.5%, 97IBU)
Keg2: Belgian Wheat Dark Strong (8.1%)
Keg3: Brandon O's Graff Cider (est. 6-8%)
Keg4: Dale's Pale Ale (6.5%)

Former Draughts: American ESB, Chocolate Oatmeal Rye Porter, Hoppy Hallowheat, Chocolate Milk Dunkleweizen, Belgian Pale Ale, The Notorious E.S.B.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
robaincltnc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmolledo View Post
how did that lemongrass wit ever turn out? I'm thinking about trying one too. I'll probably peel it, cut it in 2 inch chunks, smash them, and steep them with my grains. In soups they call for the lemongrass first before the water even is to a boil. Ginger, Lemongrass, Coriander, lime zest, possibly kaffir lime leaves. It would be like a Thai Ale. could be good who knows...
So did you do the "Thai ale"?

Brew420 Brewing
Charlotte, NC

Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I just did a lemmongrass/ginger Saison that is going into bottles this week. I used two stalks (just the light part) chopped finely and put in at 10 minutes left in the boil.

I will post back after they get time to condition and carb up.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
robaincltnc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
I just did a lemmongrass/ginger Saison that is going into bottles this week. I used two stalks (just the light part) chopped finely and put in at 10 minutes left in the boil.

I will post back after they get time to condition and carb up.
And how much ginger and when did you add it? Thanks!

Brew420 Brewing
Charlotte, NC

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaincltnc View Post
And how much ginger and when did you add it? Thanks!
I used 1 oz of finely chopped ginger and two stalks of lemmongrass finely chopped. Put them in hop bags and added them at 10 minutes.

I am going to bottle this tomorrow so I can get a taste to see how it balances out. I just winged it on the amounts so I am very curious to see how it tastes.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #16
Haasobrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Lemongrass wheat ale recipe kit from ahs was myfirst all grain. Put it in primary and rack cool wort on top of it. Everybody loved it. The keg floated way too fast. I don't know exactly how much it was, but I'd say enough to fill 12 ounces In a measuring cup. It stayed with the beer for a week in the primary. I didn't add any more to the secondary. The flavor of the lemongrAss was not very strong, but it was there. Made for a great beer.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
robaincltnc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasobrew View Post
Lemongrass wheat ale recipe kit from ahs was myfirst all grain. Put it in primary and rack cool wort on top of it. Everybody loved it. The keg floated way too fast. I don't know exactly how much it was, but I'd say enough to fill 12 ounces In a measuring cup. It stayed with the beer for a week in the primary. I didn't add any more to the secondary. The flavor of the lemongrAss was not very strong, but it was there. Made for a great beer.
Can you check to find out how much lemongrass (and ginger if it was listed) you put in the primary? Trying to see if this is a better way or if to cook the last 10 minutes may be a better way to infuse.

Thanks!

Brew420 Brewing
Charlotte, NC

Old 08-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
Mustangfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed a lemongrass hefe 2 weeks ago and I forgot to add it at flame out (damn women and their neediness, if you know what I mean, lol) and I added it when I racked it to the carboy. Turned out great! It's been carbing for a week now and it's pretty tasty!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
bigears
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmolledo View Post
Sorry for the slighty late (!) response, I just spotted the question now. I've used lemongrass a few times now, usually I chop/bash up a few stalks with some coriander and add it just before flameout, sometimes I add a little more in secondary (or late in primary if I don't use secondary). Always works out well, I find it pairs well with Styrian Goldings and I've tried a few cardamom pods as well which adds a little extra.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
bjcpc0337
Recipes 

So how much used in a 5 gallon batch?

Quick Reply