Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How many OZ'S should I dry hop for this recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
DownRightAft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How many OZ'S should I dry hop for this recipe?

Hi, I am making an American Pale Ale, and I was wondering how many ounces of Cascade I should dry hop with? Originally I was going to go with 2 ounces, but after reading through some recipes, it seems this might actually push the hopiness more towards the IPA scale. Here is the recipe:

5 gallon Batch (3 gallon boil)
target og 1.056
Yeast: Wyeast american ale
1LB. Crystal Malt 60L
6 lbs. light DME
1 oz. Perle whole hops@ 60 minutes
.5 oz. Perle whole hops @ 30minutes
1 oz. Cascade whole hops @ 10 minutes
2 oz. Cascade whole hops @ dry hop

I wanted to use Magnum .5 oz as bittering but they were out at my LHBS. So I just doubled up on Perle to make same IBU. This is my second brew, and I must say without reading this site this would be sooo much harder! I used liquid yeast for the first time, I didnt know about the starter, it still only took about 24 hours to get bubbling away, but if I didnt have the post on late fermentation to read, I would have been freaking out!! Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I love cascade hops, but if you're unsure, you can always dry hop with one ounce for a week. Taste it. If it's enough, then bottle. If you'd like a little more, add the second ounce. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 564 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Yeah, 2 ounces is borderline aggressive for a normal APA, but depends on your taste.

Like Yoop said, do progressive additions. Note though, that tasting beer out of the secondary with certain expectations is a whole different can-o-worms.

If you really like a big whoosh of hops in your nose (like I do), toss em both in.

FWIW, I usually stick with 1.5 ounces of dryhopping for my APA's.

Quick Reply