The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How Many Hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Aubie Stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default How Many Hops?

I've noticed that most recipes, kits, etc typically have only one or two hops varieties in them. Why is that? Does more than say two hop varieties complicate the taste too much? Hop prices taken it's toll on making beers that way? Or am I wrong all together and people do it all the time?

I was making a recipe that would include additions of Amarillo, Summit, and Cascade. From what I've read and tasted, these would seem to complement each other in a brew.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Less is usually more. Vary rarely will you see a beer with more than 3 kinds of hops, although the hop addition schedule may be more indepth. Same goes with the grain bills, its not hard to make good beers with complex flavors and simple ingredients.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I've done seven types in a batch, but the highest I have in a standard recipe is five. I've found that you can get more hop flavor & aroma from small additions of multiple hops, instead of massive amounts of one type.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Also, in kits, they usually package the hops in 1 to 2 oz packages, not in the exact amounts you need for the actual recipe. They are not going to want to package five different kinds of hops for one kit. It's too much work on their part, and proabably way too many hops when added up total.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 06-22-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Evan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Less is usually more. Vary rarely will you see a beer with more than 3 kinds of hops, although the hop addition schedule may be more indepth. Same goes with the grain bills, its not hard to make good beers with complex flavors and simple ingredients.
+1

seems everytime i try to use a complex grain bill, or many different typs of hops, i just make an ok beer at best. the ones that i keep it simple, are always winners (most of the time).

maybe if you have been brewing for years and are just really good, you can probably pull off complex bill/hop.

Quick Reply