Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How many have brewed Jamil's recipes? (Nice...Red Rocket)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually make my own recipes, but have been stung in the past when I'm trying a new style for the first time. So now, when I'm doing a new style, I'll use BCS as a guide. I usually won't copy his recipe exactly, but close enough. Then I'll see how it turns out and tweak it from there if necessary. His Southern English Brown Ale, which I've had on tap for awhile, is simply sublime. The Special Roast malt in there was sheer brilliance! I've got several beers based on his recipes in my brewery now. Spiced holiday ale, Munich Dunkel, Rauchbier, Flanders Red, Strong West Coast Amber, Belgian Golden Strong. All those were new styles to me, so I turned to BCS for guidance. And so far, all of them are awesome.

I recommend to anyone out there who is trying a new style for the first time to use BCS as a guide and tweak it from there. It's better than going through 2 or 3 iterations of bad beer first...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #12
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have been quite happy with all of the JZ recipes I've used.
So far I've brewed & drank the American IPA twice, Nutcastle twice, ESB and the Robust Porter, which is my favorite beer I've brewed.
I have in process a Lambic & two Belgain Blondes (using different yeasts), the Dry Stout & a Scottish 70.
JZ's book says he aims for 6 gal in the kettle at the end of the boil & puts 5.5 gal in the fermenter, and transfers 5 gal into a keg after fermenting.
My current setup has a 5 gal max in the kettle (using PM), and I put all 5 gal in the fermenter, so I adjust all recipes by 5/6ths.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #13
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done his strong scoch ale and it is still in secondary. However, all my recipes are inspired by his. Brewing Classic styles is awesome

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I don't think I have brewed any of his recipes exactly, however many of my recipes have been strongly based on the ones in his book. It is a good way to get any idea of what a recipe for a particular style should look like.
I have done a RedRocket that was based on his recipe, however mine ended up varying quite a bit due to substitutions and some unexpected efficiency issues with my mash. Still was delicious.

Craig

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I've done the Robust Porter 3 times now.The third time we did it (2 weeks ago) was at a HBT Meetup (Maryland Brewday). I loved it so much the times I did it, that I felt the need to share that particluar brew with the rest of the group.

One guy even put some chocolate in it to make it a little 'different.'

Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

I've done his cream ale "Weed Feed and Mow" and also "Jamil's Extra Yellow" - both were very good.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have not used any of his recipes but his show on Brown Porters convinced me to add some brown malt to my recipe.

You should bring some of that to the meeting next month StunnedMonkey, everyone liked Mad Anthony's Imperial Red.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I have not used any of his recipes but his show on Brown Porters convinced me to add some brown malt to my recipe.

You should bring some of that to the meeting next month StunnedMonkey, everyone liked Mad Anthony's Imperial Red.
If I make it out there I'll definitely bottle up a couple. Of course, when I said it reminded me of MA's Imperial Red, I didn't mean it was as good as MA's Imperial Red. Just so we're clear.

I've got a Northern English Brown (not Jamil's) that I might bring as well for a little feedback. I'm a new brewer and I've never had anyone knowledgeable sample my efforts.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed his American Amber that he wrote about in BYO, turned out great. Only took two weeks to float that keg

Quick Reply