New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How long for yeast to take off using stir plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
TeufelBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How long for yeast to take off using stir plate?

I made my nice simple stir plate and put about 900ml of 1.052 SG wort in a 1liter flask. Added my WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale yeast and started it up around noon yesterday. This morning, no happy bubbling from my poor yeast!

Is this a RDWHAHB morning (which would REALLY piss of SWMBO) or are their other things I might look into?

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/stir-plate-moving-so-fast-there-no-foam-88892/

I chilled and dumped the first 2200ml and added 1500ml more and the yeast almost came out of the flask!!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

All that matters is that when you atop it and wait a bit, that you get a band of creamy yeast on the bottom...I've only had the remnants of one noticeable krausen on a spinning flask...other times I've stopped the stirplate and a few hours later I've had krausen...other times I've had what appeared to be no action, and pitched and everything was fine..just like no two beer fermentations is ever the same, no two Starters ferment the same...

Just gotta trust that IF you sanitized properly, cooled you starter wort, and aerated it with your stirplate...that the yeast know what to do...

I always just check for flocculation...If I have yeastes on the bottom, then it's fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wort was from extra on previous batch, frozen in 22oz bottles. Flask, Bottle tops and caps, yeast vial all sanitized with Starsan from spray bottle. Flask capped with sanitized aluminum foil.

I've stopped the stir plate and waiting to see what drops out. There is some grist material, I'm hoping for lots of yeast as well. That way I can brew today!!!

Brew is ON! Nice gathering of yeast on the bottom of the flask!

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Last edited by TeufelBrew; 11-28-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelBrew View Post
This morning, no happy bubbling from my poor yeast!
I rarely see krausen on my stirplate starters, but if I let it settle off the plate there is a nice layer of creamy yeasties.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I'm seeing some small amounts of white foam. I did everything right so it's a RDWHAHB lesson. I figure since the CO2 can escape freely and the wort is spinning it may be too much agitation for the foam to accumulate anyways.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
I'm seeing some small amounts of white foam. I did everything right so it's a RDWHAHB lesson. I figure since the CO2 can escape freely and the wort is spinning it may be too much agitation for the foam to accumulate anyways.
That's it! Also, when you stop the stir plate and wait for the wort to stop swirling if you look closely right near the surface you can usually see some small CO2 bubbles. Using a flashlight can sometimes make them easier to see. The wort will usually change to a somewhat lighter color as the yeast propagate. Take care with your sanitation and the chance of something going wrong with the starter are slim.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
jldc

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Often, if you look very closely, you can see very tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Krausen is rare in my experience. I always check the SG of the wort before I pitch, but they always take off pretty fast in my experience of maybe ten starters. Your are pitching a lot of yeast into a small volume of wort.

Quick Reply