Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How do I brew using Chili peppers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Someguyinahat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do I brew using Chili peppers

I want to brew a chocolate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Someguyinahat
Recipes 

Sorry. I hit send by mistake. Anyway, I want to brew a Mayan hot chocolate inspired brew. It'll basically be a chocolate stout brewed with chili pepper and cinnamon. However, I have never used chili pepper in a recipe before and I'm unsure how to go about it. Do I use extract, powder or actual peppers? How much do I need? I know that I'll probably have to brew the recipe a few times to perfect it but I would love some advice from brewers in the community more knowledgeable than myself on the subject. I'll be brewing a five gallon batch.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have a buddy who make a killer chill pepper pale ale. His process is to rack beer to secondary then clean, section and soak peppers in cheap vodka for a bit to kill off anything then add peppers to the secondary for a couple of weeks. How much and how long is up to your pallet.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Bashiba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The last time I did it, I did an 11% imperial Stout and added 8oz of Cocoa Nibs and 8oz of Dried Anchos to the Secondary after sanitizing both in Vodka. I let it sit for about a month then bottled, it came out really nice, a good level of peppery heat and flavor, I should have used a bit more chocolate, its there but gets buried by the Peppers.

Quick Reply