Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to design a great session beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
rokfizix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How to design a great session beer?

Hey guys,

I would like to brew some great flavorful low ABV beers. However I tend to prefer strongly flavored beers like IPAs and Belgians. So how do I pack that big flavor into a small beer? Do I just cut back on the base malt in a recipe and adjust the BU/GU ratio to match? How would one convert a standard recipe to a session ale recipe? What would be great would be if someone could post a "standard" recipe and how they would modify it to be a session ale.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
mbobhat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 251

That is probably an unanswerable question in it's broadness. When you take something away, I think something else has to be added to account for the missing taste bud stimuli.

I too am interested in smaller beers, like scottish ales, ordinary bitters, and cream ales. Not sure what the technical definition is for session and if those all fit, but I think the underlying theme is that you accentuate one part of the beer to account for the missing alcohol. Balance is always necessary.

I know I'm rambling, but as I try to make session beer recipes, I just stick with the style and see how I like them. For example, with an ordinary bitter, corn is added sometimes to get that mellowness and mouthfeel to offset the high bitterness. Otherwise you would just have an out of whack balance of IBU:OG.

2cents

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's going to be a balancing act and will probably take a while to perfect so you might want to consider doing a bunch of 1 gallon batches to get there.

In general, I think you are going to need to scale down the whole recipe then mash a little higher to give it more body so it isn't all watery.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A calculator like Hopville can help. It has a rough prediction on how malty/hoppy and given recipe will be.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1419 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I've found that keeping the specialty malts about the same (maybe a slight decrease), and cutting primarily base malt, coupled with higher mash temperature, generally does the trick.

Up Next: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: Best Bitter
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

You've hit on my Holy Grail! I also want to enjoy IPAs, but in a 5-5.5% ABV so I can have a few. I want big hoppy flavor, but with enough backbone to support the hops. That's hard to do in a small beer!

A couple of things I've learned- use more character malts. Instead of 12 pounds of two row, you could use 6 pounds of two-row and 2 pounds of Munich malt, and maybe even some aromatic malt (.25 pound) to enhance the perception of maltiness. Keep the IBU/SG ratio about the same, as well as the late hopping. Vienna malt is another base malt that can give the perception of bigger malt flavor while reducing the grainbill size.

People Like This 
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
stevek767
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

+1 Yooper!

I have been recently looking into this very thing, and have come to a similar conclusion. It seems that once you start to decrease 2 row, the ability to maintain the large taste/malt backbone of the "session IPA" gets harder.

I've been looking at doing just what you suggested, with mixing different base malts, to help "beef" up the perceived maltiness. This seems to work best with a blend of 2 row plus Maris or Vienna. By adding a small amount of a specialty grain to add more body to it, I agree, you could give it the malt boost it would need for the scaled down base malt bill.

I'm still working out the hop profile, as I'd like to have a base grain recipe for a variety of hops.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last year, I brewed one beer out of 20 or so batches that had an OG above 1.045 and I never once said "my beer doesn't taste of anything". The trick is to take the low gravity styles and beers for what they are and to brew simply recipes with a good, streamlined process and good, quality ingredients. There's no cookie cutter solution.

What I can tell you though is that yeast choice becomes more important (altough it always is) because it can make or break a low gravity beer. A too attenuative/clean strain can really make a beer feel watery and generic, especially when we're talking English bitters or milds.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
DrHop
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111
Last year, I brewed one beer out of 20 or so batches that had an OG above 1.045 and I never once said "my beer doesn't taste of anything". The trick is to take the low gravity styles and beers for what they are and to brew simply recipes with a good, streamlined process and good, quality ingredients. There's no cookie cutter solution.

What I can tell you though is that yeast choice becomes more important (altough it always is) because it can make or break a low gravity beer. A too attenuative/clean strain can really make a beer feel watery and generic, especially when we're talking English bitters or milds.
Which yeast strains do you suggest?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

A higher mash temperature will leave more unfermentable sugars, which is important for small beers. I also like to add some rye.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply