The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How dark a beer can you get using only Pilsener Malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
teucer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGish View Post
I would like to see this recipe if you are willing to share
18lb pilsner LME
1lb white sugar
Water to 5 gallons

Boil 7 hours, adding water periodically to keep it around three gallons rather than boiling dry. (I'd planned to do six, but my timer ran out and I realized I'd never added my hops, so I added another hour.)

Boil additions:

4oz Cluster hops (~7%AA) 60'.

Yeast: Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey II). Ferment two weeks at ale temperatures, then rack, adding:

4oz Centennial hops (dry).

Ferment until it's done, which is most of a month.

I got under 60% attenuation, so a very sweet finish but still so strong it couldn't be sold as beer in my state, and with hops to balance it. I get more requests to make that beer again than anything else I have ever brewed, though I personally can't drink a full 12oz bottle of it in one sitting unless I'm having some very hearty food to go with it. (So far I've told the people making the requests that it is unlikely to happen, because seriously, that's a damn long time to spend on one batch of extract beer.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
jrobidoux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That sounds awesome! This was the kind of thing I was thinking of when I started this thread. But your right, 7 hours! That is a "damn long time" for an extract haha!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply