Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How can you capture/culture wild yeasts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Reddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How can you capture/culture wild yeasts?

I have a crazy idea. I want to culture wild yeast from around where I live to brew with.

I got the idea when I was making blackberry mead, using honey from a bee keeper up the road and blackberries from the back field. I thought if I just had some wild yeasts contained somehow, it would be an all-local brew.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know how you'd go about it?

Secondary 2: Backyard Blackberry/Grape Wine
Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines
On Deck: Coffee Porter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Unwashed, locally-grown fruit can be an excellent source of wild yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Reddy
Recipes 

I thought of that, but then worried about pesticides and such. I guess I'd just have to make sure it's organic.

How would one go about getting enough to brew with? Make a spontaneously fermented one gallon batch and use the slurry as a starter?

Secondary 2: Backyard Blackberry/Grape Wine
Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines
On Deck: Coffee Porter?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

right12345

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

The way I capture wild yeast from fruit skins is the following; I get an organic local fruit, peel it, and place it into 4-6 sterile starter wort and some yeast nutrient (around 1.040 for the wort) using a stirplate (if you've got one, i don't. a sanitized 12oz bottle works fine). Let this go for about 4-5 days, or until very foamy, at this point you remove the skins, and step up the starter untill it is the size you want it.

In my experience the first batch will be kinda weird due to some of the bugs, but if you wash the yeast cake when you're done (or just do a big starter, and let it ferment all the way out, then wash the cake) and let it sit in a fridge for a few days, making a starter from the second-generation yeast is much cleaner. I must say the wild yeast is hit-or-miss really, and I've only done this for cider so far, although I was thinking about a "dirty blonde" using wild yeast.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Another way is to stick some wort out by a fruit tree. I'm going to try to make some wild yeast starters by sticking some wort in mason jars when stuff starts to bloom. You never know.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
I thought of that, but then worried about pesticides and such. I guess I'd just have to make sure it's organic.
Just to make things clear, organic does not mean no pesticides have been applied, only that the pesticides that are used are "natural" and have been approved for organic use

For organic apples, I can just about guarantee that they have been sprayed with sulfur, kaolin clay, and probably copper sulfate too. A typical organic apple orchard actually does more spraying than a standard commercial orchard - the natural pesticides don't last as long and require more frequent application. An orchard I toured this summer uses straight vinegar as a weed killer. Other growers often use propane burners to kill weeds. This grower actually doesn't do much spraying as he worked with a local gov't. apple breeder and the local processor to select disease resistant varieties that fit the processors requirements (not an easy task!!!). He could not grow the standard proccessing apples grown in the area as he would have to spend too much money on spraying. He doesn't grow for the fresh mkt., just for processing (organic apple sauce and juice). This organic apple grower is the exception when it comes to pesticide application
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
kcross13
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

dont forget about the use of tobacco to kill off bugs.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
yessri
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Mike is "old sock" on HBT and describes his method. There's another version in the comments. http://www.themadfermentationist.com...=Google+Reader

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
biodavid
Recipes 

Default Wild yeast method

Love your all local approach. When I make melomels I half sour mash. I let the batch go sour two days, then pitch champagne yeast. Also did this method: Clemsonbiofuels.wordpress.com grapes, blueberries and figs have been the best sources to acquire yeast. If your honey is unpasturized and been properly stored should still contain yeast, but will take it a while to ferment on its own due to the highsugarcontent it needs to overcome.

Quick Reply