New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to Balance Malt and Hops




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 1,263
Liked 538 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default How to Balance Malt and Hops

I'm brewing an IPA this weekend based on Eschatz's Two Hearted Ale recipe. Instead of just centennial, I'm using simcoe and cascade. Here's my recipe:

11# 2-row
2# Vienna
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 40L

.75 Cascade (60)
.75 Centennial (60)
.75 Simcoe (60)
.5 of each (15)
.5 of each (10)
.5 of each (5)
.5 of each (1)
1.0 of each (10 day dry hop)

I forget the exact number beersmith gave me, but i think the IBUs were in the 80-90 neighborhood. When I did Eschatz's recipe I mashed at 150 and got a nice dry beer, but I'm worried that with this hop schedule I need to bump up the malt profile. Should I mash higher, like 155-156? I appreciate your thoughts.



__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,648
Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
I'm brewing an IPA this weekend based on Eschatz's Two Hearted Ale recipe. Instead of just centennial, I'm using simcoe and cascade. Here's my recipe:

11# 2-row
2# Vienna
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 40L

.75 Cascade (60)
.75 Centennial (60)
.75 Simcoe (60)
.5 of each (15)
.5 of each (10)
.5 of each (5)
.5 of each (1)
1.0 of each (10 day dry hop)

I forget the exact number beersmith gave me, but i think the IBUs were in the 80-90 neighborhood. When I did Eschatz's recipe I mashed at 150 and got a nice dry beer, but I'm worried that with this hop schedule I need to bump up the malt profile. Should I mash higher, like 155-156? I appreciate your thoughts.
You don't need to bump up the mash temp- you have a pound of crystal malts in there along with the malty flavor from the Vienna malt. I do usually mash my IPAs at 150-153. Many of my beers that I mash at 153 will finish at 1.010, including one like this.

I'd probably cut down some of the 60 minute hops, just a bit. I'd probably drop the cascade from the 60 minute addition.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,142
Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Well, I guess the question is: what are you looking for here? An IPA should be mashed at a lower temp for a crisp, dry beer in order to showcase the hops. However, you have Vienna in there which will give a maltier profile and you want to mash higher....both of these things go against the IPA style.

Seems to me you either go for the IPA style and mash lower (maybe even get rid of the Vienna for more 2-row) or keep the grain bill and scale back the hops and do more of a late-hop addition amber.

__________________
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 1,263
Liked 538 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
Well, I guess the question is: what are you looking for here? An IPA should be mashed at a lower temp for a crisp, dry beer in order to showcase the hops. However, you have Vienna in there which will give a maltier profile and you want to mash higher....both of these things go against the IPA style.

Seems to me you either go for the IPA style and mash lower (maybe even get rid of the Vienna for more 2-row) or keep the grain bill and scale back the hops and do more of a late-hop addition amber.
I'm new to designing my own recipes so I was worried about bumping up the hops too much and ending up with hop tea. I think I'll take Yooper's suggestion and take the Cascade out of the 60'min addition, but still mash low and keep it dry. Maybe I'll do 152 for 60 minutes.
__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 1,263
Liked 538 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
....both of these things go against the IPA style....
I know what the different styles look/taste like, but do you have a good reference for me to learn more about brewing to style guidelines?
__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
stevedasleeve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Betelgeuse
Posts: 856
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

You know it really is worth brewing this twice and changing the mash temp the second time, and tasting the difference.. I have found I like to mash higher at 155 and add 8 oz of cane sugar over a lower mash temp for IPAs. FWIW! This for 1.070 and up...

__________________
stevedasleeve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,142
Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
I know what the different styles look/taste like, but do you have a good reference for me to learn more about brewing to style guidelines?
Google "BJCP style guidelines" and "BJCP style chart"....the first couple links are to pdfs with all the info you could want.

Also, Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers" is a good read for those interested in brewing to style. Each chapter is dedicated to a particular style and he takes recipes that placed in the second round of National Homebrew Competition and analyzes how those recipes are brewed to hit that particular style. It is a good way to bridge the numbers given by BJCP and and how that translates into actual ingredients.
__________________
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,292
Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

There's nothing wrong with a little Vienna in an IPA.

__________________
The Fiesty(sic) Goat Brewery est. 2007 & Clusterfuggle Experimental Ales est. 2009
Planned: sLambic II, Flanders Red II
Primary: Fat Man Porter, Orange Blossom Mead, sLambic I
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I
ArcaneXor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 1,263
Liked 538 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill

Google "BJCP style guidelines" and "BJCP style chart"....the first couple links are to pdfs with all the info you could want.

Also, Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers" is a good read for those interested in brewing to style. Each chapter is dedicated to a particular style and he takes recipes that placed in the second round of National Homebrew Competition and analyzes how those recipes are brewed to hit that particular style. It is a good way to bridge the numbers given by BJCP and and how that translates into actual ingredients.
Thanks! I will definitely check that out.
__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 1,263
Liked 538 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor
There's nothing wrong with a little Vienna in an IPA.
I brewed this same grain bill but with all centennial and it is my all-time favorite. It's now in my regular rotation.


__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes