New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to Balance Malt and Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default How to Balance Malt and Hops

I'm brewing an IPA this weekend based on Eschatz's Two Hearted Ale recipe. Instead of just centennial, I'm using simcoe and cascade. Here's my recipe:

11# 2-row
2# Vienna
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 40L

.75 Cascade (60)
.75 Centennial (60)
.75 Simcoe (60)
.5 of each (15)
.5 of each (10)
.5 of each (5)
.5 of each (1)
1.0 of each (10 day dry hop)

I forget the exact number beersmith gave me, but i think the IBUs were in the 80-90 neighborhood. When I did Eschatz's recipe I mashed at 150 and got a nice dry beer, but I'm worried that with this hop schedule I need to bump up the malt profile. Should I mash higher, like 155-156? I appreciate your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
I'm brewing an IPA this weekend based on Eschatz's Two Hearted Ale recipe. Instead of just centennial, I'm using simcoe and cascade. Here's my recipe:

11# 2-row
2# Vienna
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 40L

.75 Cascade (60)
.75 Centennial (60)
.75 Simcoe (60)
.5 of each (15)
.5 of each (10)
.5 of each (5)
.5 of each (1)
1.0 of each (10 day dry hop)

I forget the exact number beersmith gave me, but i think the IBUs were in the 80-90 neighborhood. When I did Eschatz's recipe I mashed at 150 and got a nice dry beer, but I'm worried that with this hop schedule I need to bump up the malt profile. Should I mash higher, like 155-156? I appreciate your thoughts.
You don't need to bump up the mash temp- you have a pound of crystal malts in there along with the malty flavor from the Vienna malt. I do usually mash my IPAs at 150-153. Many of my beers that I mash at 153 will finish at 1.010, including one like this.

I'd probably cut down some of the 60 minute hops, just a bit. I'd probably drop the cascade from the 60 minute addition.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Well, I guess the question is: what are you looking for here? An IPA should be mashed at a lower temp for a crisp, dry beer in order to showcase the hops. However, you have Vienna in there which will give a maltier profile and you want to mash higher....both of these things go against the IPA style.

Seems to me you either go for the IPA style and mash lower (maybe even get rid of the Vienna for more 2-row) or keep the grain bill and scale back the hops and do more of a late-hop addition amber.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
Well, I guess the question is: what are you looking for here? An IPA should be mashed at a lower temp for a crisp, dry beer in order to showcase the hops. However, you have Vienna in there which will give a maltier profile and you want to mash higher....both of these things go against the IPA style.

Seems to me you either go for the IPA style and mash lower (maybe even get rid of the Vienna for more 2-row) or keep the grain bill and scale back the hops and do more of a late-hop addition amber.
I'm new to designing my own recipes so I was worried about bumping up the hops too much and ending up with hop tea. I think I'll take Yooper's suggestion and take the Cascade out of the 60'min addition, but still mash low and keep it dry. Maybe I'll do 152 for 60 minutes.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
....both of these things go against the IPA style....
I know what the different styles look/taste like, but do you have a good reference for me to learn more about brewing to style guidelines?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You know it really is worth brewing this twice and changing the mash temp the second time, and tasting the difference.. I have found I like to mash higher at 155 and add 8 oz of cane sugar over a lower mash temp for IPAs. FWIW! This for 1.070 and up...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
I know what the different styles look/taste like, but do you have a good reference for me to learn more about brewing to style guidelines?
Google "BJCP style guidelines" and "BJCP style chart"....the first couple links are to pdfs with all the info you could want.

Also, Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers" is a good read for those interested in brewing to style. Each chapter is dedicated to a particular style and he takes recipes that placed in the second round of National Homebrew Competition and analyzes how those recipes are brewed to hit that particular style. It is a good way to bridge the numbers given by BJCP and and how that translates into actual ingredients.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There's nothing wrong with a little Vienna in an IPA.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Google "BJCP style guidelines" and "BJCP style chart"....the first couple links are to pdfs with all the info you could want.

Also, Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers" is a good read for those interested in brewing to style. Each chapter is dedicated to a particular style and he takes recipes that placed in the second round of National Homebrew Competition and analyzes how those recipes are brewed to hit that particular style. It is a good way to bridge the numbers given by BJCP and and how that translates into actual ingredients.
Thanks! I will definitely check that out.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor
There's nothing wrong with a little Vienna in an IPA.
I brewed this same grain bill but with all centennial and it is my all-time favorite. It's now in my regular rotation.

Quick Reply