Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to adjust recipe for whirlpool???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
JonBoy47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to adjust recipe for whirlpool???

Im going to be brewing the Citra clone recipe from CYBI tomorow and on the show the mentioned needing to adjust the recipe for the whirlpool time if you dont have the ability to whirlpool. The brewer whirlpools for 20 mins after a 60 minute boil. How do I adjust my recipe for that? Do I move all the hop additions back 20 mins? That just doesnt seem right. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
JonBoy47
Recipes 

Anyone?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I listened to that episode too, and I remember them getting a little confusing about it. I believe they said to calculate the whirlpool addition as if it were either a 20 or 30 minute addition, and keep everything else the same.. i.e. bittering hops, flameout etc..

Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerist View Post
I listened to that episode too, and I remember them getting a little confusing about it. I believe they said to calculate the whirlpool addition as if it were either a 20 or 30 minute addition, and keep everything else the same.. i.e. bittering hops, flameout etc..
Yeah, Tasty wasn't very clear. He said he moved the flameout addition to the 30 minute mark and kept everything else the same. I don't see how the hell that makes a clone of the commercial beer! The commercial stuff sits at very high temperature for 20 minutes while they use their painfully slow wort chiller. I would imagine the way to clone that procedure would be to slightly cool the wort after flameout, let is sit for 20 minutes then chill the rest of the way and pitch. Please follow up on this thread with what you do, there are a lot of us who want to clone that legendary ale. Maybe someone can contact Tasty on the BN website and we can get a definitive answer...

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 07-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
JonBoy47
Recipes 

I think tasty said he moved the 30 minute addition to flameout instead of the other way around. Still doesnt quite make sense to me. That was one if the more confusing episodes ive listened to. Ill definately let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I didn't listen to the episode, but usually I just move the "whirlpool" edition back however long it was going to be, so a 20 minute whirlpool ends up as a 20 minute addition. The difference between boiling and near boiling after flameout isn't going to change alpha acid extraction rate.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
JonBoy47
Recipes 

That makes sense but this recipe has a 60, 30, 15, 10,and 5 minute additions with no whirlpool addition. If you move those all back 20 minutes to account for the whirlpool time it doesnt really make sense. That would mean your last hop addition is at 25 minutes

Old 07-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy47 View Post
That makes sense but this recipe has a 60, 30, 15, 10,and 5 minute additions with no whirlpool addition. If you move those all back 20 minutes to account for the whirlpool time it doesnt really make sense. That would mean your last hop addition is at 25 minutes
Not sure I'm following you here. If you wanted to whirlpool for 20 minutes *instead* of late boil hops; then I'd skip the 15, 10 and 5 during the boil, start up the whirlpool at flameout after the 60 minute boil (this will cool the work down under 200) and at 15, 10 and 5 left of the whirlpool time, add those additions.

If you didn't want to whirlpool and the recipe called for it, then I'd move the whirlpool addition back from flameout for however long the whirlpool was going to be. so, 20 minute whirlpool would be a 20 minute boil addition.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i took it as changing addition time in the software only by 20 min to calculate ibu, so keep your standard time (60, 20, 5,0 ect) when adding hops but when calculating IBUs adjust the amount of hops and change time (in the software) by 20min (i would leave 60 as its is cuz its 100% utilization anyway and then 40, 25, 20)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy
i took it as changing addition time in the software only by 20 min to calculate ibu, so keep your standard time (60, 20, 5,0 ect) when adding hops but when calculating IBUs adjust the amount of hops and change time (in the software) by 20min (i would leave 60 as its is cuz its 100% utilization anyway and then 40, 25, 20)
Right. I'm suggesting further that if couldnt or don't whirlpool, you'd get the same bittering by shifting it back during the boil. The one advantage of the whirlpool, and id suggest that this is why whirlpools are worth the effort, is that since your not actively boiling, and you can cover, you'll keep more of the volatile aromas in the whirlpool versus a 20 min boil addition which is going to push out some of the aroma due to the boiling action.

Quick Reply