Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hotd Dave - Anyone ever try and "eisbock"?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
IndyPABrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hotd Dave - Anyone ever try and "eisbock"?

Hey all -

I'm interested in creating an Eisbock out of a barleywine I'm planning on making. Has anyone ever had any experiences doing such a thing? Thoughts on freezing process??

Cheers,

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Ultimate Table Beer
Bottled: The Mothman Barley Wine, Hwart's Bitter
Drinking: Water
On Deck: ???

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hot Dave? Please, I'm blushing.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Hair of the Dog Dave. Hehehe.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Man, your avatar gives me the shivers every time I see it, JustDave.

No idea on the eisbock technique, I know that removing more than a certain (rather marginal) percentage is not legal, technically, and because of this information is a little scarce. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the how-to part of this. For... educational purposes only, of course.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

If you live in the US it is technically illegal to make a traditional eisbock due to the freeze distillation process employed. This thread will likely be locked when a mod sees it for this very reason.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4263 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Man, your avatar gives me the shivers every time I see it, JustDave.
Look who's talking, Chriso! Your avatar gives me the heebie geebies.

I don't know if a traditional Eisbock involving freeze distillation can be done in the US (doubtful) but it may be legal in places that allow distillation.

As I see it, an Eisbock is a bock (lager) and I'm not sure simply making a stronger barley wine will give you an Eisbock. The BJCP guidelines call it an "extremely strong full and malty dark lager". Totally different than a barley wine. Here are the BJCP guidelines: BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 05

Old 09-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just checked the Wisconsin statues (125) and cannot find a definitive answer as to whether or not Eisbock would or would not be legal. All signs point to legality.

this is §125.06 (3)

Quote:
(3) HOMEMADE WINE OR FERMENTED MALT BEVERAGES. The
manufacture of wine or fermented malt beverages of any alcoholic
content by any person at his or her home, farm or place of residence
if the wine or fermented malt beverages is to be consumed
by that person or his or her family and guests, and if the person
manufacturing the wine or fermented malt beverages receives no
compensation.
It also defines wine as any beverage with between 0.5% and 21% ABV. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who was knit picky enough to say yes it is a fermented beverage, but you froze it and some of the water was removed.

There is no mention in the statues about home distilling (or being a home rectifier according tot he definitions).

Also, WI has no homebrewing limit!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
I just checked the Wisconsin statues (125) and cannot find a definitive answer as to whether or not Eisbock would or would not be legal. All signs point to legality.

this is §125.06 (3)

It also defines wine as any beverage with between 0.5% and 21% ABV. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who was knit picky enough to say yes it is a fermented beverage, but you froze it and some of the water was removed.

There is no mention in the statues about home distilling (or being a home rectifier according tot he definitions).

Also, WI has no homebrewing limit!
however, it is totally illegal to concentrate alcohol in any way shape or form in the United states. This includes freeze distillation, this topic has been discussed before on this board.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Interesting read.

While it is probably illegal to make an Eisbock traditionally, it's one of those things that no one needs to know about. I don't specifically see a law prohibiting you from transferring your beer into another container if it "inadvertantly" gets frozen.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
however, it is totally illegal to concentrate alcohol in any way shape or form in the United states. This includes freeze distillation, this topic has been discussed before on this board.
Double-damn! I need to look into that thread. Not that I will ever distill anything anyway, but I wish it was an option.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply