Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hopslam Clone...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #21
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post
I actually email them and this is what I got:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the Hopslam Ale. There are certain things about our recipes that we keep close to the vest, but I can offer some guidance. The malt bill is relatively straightforward: stick with 2-row base malt and just a bit of caramel malts for color. Add a healthy dollop of honey towards the end of the boil. Aim for an OG at knock-out of 21 Plato. You'll want to set up your mash rests for moderate fermentability: the sugars from the honey will be largely consumed, so you need malt dextrins around to keep the beer from getting too dry. Terminal gravity will be below 3 Plato.

Hopping is trickier, but I can tell you that we use a blend of modern American high-alpha aroma hops. I won't say that your exact choice of kettle hops doesn't matter, but I would focus more on the aroma side. A late kettle addition of Amarillo & generous dry-hopping with Simcoe provides the signature aromatic punch. Bitterness is in the upper 60 IBU range, less than most people think. Hopslam is all about hop flavor, not unrestrained bitterness.

You can culture yeast out of one of our bottles if you're comfortable with that; it's certainly the preferred option for a solid flavor match. The yeast in the Hopslam bottle is the yeast used for fermentation, but at 10% abv, but the yeast that isn't dead will be severely stressed. I would recommend culturing from a lower gravity beer such as Amber Ale, Best Brown Ale, etc.: the yeast is the same & likely to be in superior condition. Winter White Ale is a completely different strain, so don't use that. Otherwise, the local homebrew supply shops around here have found that most people looking to clone one of our recipes lean towards ale strains with a straightforward ester profile & good attenuation.
That's more help than I thought they would have given for this particular beer.

It has a lot of honey aroma and I've always suspected that have a unique technique for retaining it (eg adding it during fermentation or something), they might just use a very strongly flavored variety.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
What is the approx. color of Hopslam? I got some yeast from a Bell's Pale Ale and brewed a lowish gravity Pale Ale with it and plan to make a Two-Hearted clone with the cake. I plan to save some of the washed yeast from the Pale Ale and do this process again but make a Hopslam instead of the Two-Hearted.
My best estimation (by holding up a pint of hopslam to my monitor and comparing to various SRM guides on the internet) is in the neighborhood of 8 SRM.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
ameadrat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Bells says the OG is 1087 with 10% APv. It has an orange flavor to it. There is definately
a honey after taste. Which would indicate centennial hops or orange blossum honey. I have a english IPA done with 7oz kent goldings that comes in around 1072. So I am going to add 2 lbs of orange blossum honey which should hit close to 1087. However
it willtake 6 to 9 months in secondary to mellow out the honey than one month or more in the bottle. Founders breakfast stout is way easier to clone.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameadrat View Post
Bells says the OG is 1087 with 10% APv. It has an orange flavor to it. There is definately
a honey after taste. Which would indicate centennial hops or orange blossum honey. I have a english IPA done with 7oz kent goldings that comes in around 1072. So I am going to add 2 lbs of orange blossum honey which should hit close to 1087. However
it willtake 6 to 9 months in secondary to mellow out the honey than one month or more in the bottle. Founders breakfast stout is way easier to clone.
6 to 9 months in the secondary is going to accomplish one thing: diminish your hop flavor and aroma. Hopslam has been in stores for 2 months now, and it has already begun to lose some of its character. Intensely hoppy beers are meant to be consumed as young as possible, when the hop flavors are at their most potent.

Honey is 98% fermentable; you may get some residual character with the orange blossom variety, but if you're waiting 6 to 9 months for it to mellow, why use it to begin with?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #25
ameadrat
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

My conversion to ipa's has been recent so my knowledge of hops is weak. I am a ttacked to hopslam because I started making wine than mead and than big dark and maltty. However I have one point of disagreement with you and that is IPA's which are large alcohol and highly hopped beers were a way to survive for transports taking British troops around the cape to India. Where they caught on for their maturity and were than shipped as a product to the those same ports from England. As to hopslam I have no history with maturing it. It was only a talking point which I am going through. Today I opened an afforementioned homebrew. added TBSP clover honey to a small glass and whisked it in an taste it. ITwas way to sweet but interesting I got my funnel out and
dumped the remainder into the just opened 16 oz swingtop. Shook it up and tasted again with much better result. I think Bells is using clover(cost also drives that). I have a IPA in primary, when I rack to secondary I'm going to pull 1 gallon and add 1/4 honey to that gallon and give it 2 weeks to a month to bottle both. At which time I'm going to pull another gallon off which will use honey as the primer, the remainder of the fiver and the honey added gallon will be primed normally. 2 more weeks to bottle condition. Than Ill have my initial result for my clone of hopslam. Since Bells is using 1087 as OG that means their FG is 1020, Only 1056m yeast is normally used for an IPA that is because of the alcohol tolerance which can easily handle 10%. Thanks for your reply

Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So I've been searching all over as well and have copy and pasted a few notes that seem legit ....

Response from Bell's:

We don’t have any specific recipes scaled to the homebrew size, but I can offer a bit of guidance. The malt bill is relatively straightforward: stick with 2-row base malt and just a bit of caramel malts for color. Add a healthy dollop of honey. Aim for an OG of 21 Plato. You’ll want to set up your mash rests for moderate fermentability: the sugars from the honey will be largely consumed, so you need malt dextrins around to keep the beer from getting too dry.

Hopping is trickier, but I can tell you that we use a blend of modern American high-alpha aroma hops. A generous dry hop addition of Simcoe with a touch of Amarillo provides the signature aromatic punch. Bitterness is less than most people think, in the mid-to-upper 60 IBU range. Hopslam is all about hop flavor, not unrestrained bitterness.

You can culture yeast out of one of our bottles if you’re comfortable with that; it’s certainly the preferred option for a solid flavor match. The yeast in the Hopslam bottle is the yeast used for fermentation, but at 10% abv, the yeast that isn’t dead will be severely stressed. I would recommend culturing from a lower gravity beer such as Amber Ale, Best Brown Ale, etc.: the yeast is the same & likely to be in superior condition. Winter White Ale is a completely different strain, so don’t use that. Otherwise, the local homebrew supply shops have found that most people looking to clone one of our recipes lean towards the WLP001 strain from White Labs. From what I’ve seen of it, that seems like a reasonable selection, but anything with a straightforward ester profile & good attenuation will work.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck with the brewing!

Sincerely,

Gary S. Nicholas

Quality Assurance & Control

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Per Bells: We use Hersbrucker, Centennial, Glacier, Vanguard, & Crystal in the kettle, and then dry hop with Simcoe. Hopslam has an unusually high degree of fermentation, so you also encounter a fermentation profile that you wouldn’t find in many of our other beers. Lets figure out a clone recipe for this one now that we have the type of hops. I have no experience with Glacier, Vanguard, or Crystal so I will not be of any assistance. Here is one more hint Our internal taste panels regularly identify a peach aroma that is unique among our brands to Hopslam. That, in concert with the various hops, may be the tropical flavor you asked about.

So with that said, here's what I put together, I haven't brewed it yet, waiting on some hops recently ordered and I need to pick up some honey .... I'd figure as well that you'd need to pitch a huge starter ....

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: IIPA (HOPSLAM?)
Brewer: Jonathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.56 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (40 min) Hops 30.9 IBU
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (20 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
0.50 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2 lbs 8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 13.89 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 15.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.38 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

Anyone with more experience please speak up as I'm looking for some info as well ....

Edit: I just noticed I posted some of the same as others with my copy and paste, and I'm not 100% sure about the Crystal 10, or maybe add some carapils? The SG looks about right, the I'd aim for FG of 1.012, IBU's are close, maybe decrease slightly?

Last edited by Sleepyemt; 03-07-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #27
beerjunky828
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That hop schedule looks DELICIOUS and very intense.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameadrat View Post
... Since Bells is using 1087 as OG that means their FG is 1020, Only 1056m yeast is normally used for an IPA that is because of the alcohol tolerance which can easily handle 10%. Thanks for your reply
Given that their O.G. is listed at 1.087, their F.G. is actually in the neighborhood of 1.011 in order to achieve 10% ABV. That crazy attenuation is made possible by two things. 1) Bell's uses a proprietary strain of yeast that is known to be extremely attenuative, and 2) a percentage of the sugars come from honey, which is extremely fermentable.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes, they were adamant about the use of honey to dry the beer out. If you use Fermentis US-05 you will be able to dry this beer out, especially if you use the nice "dollop" of honey they reffered to in the letter I posted. It finishes "under 3 Plato"

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 03-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerjunky828 View Post
That hop schedule looks DELICIOUS and very intense.
I know, Gets me excited just looking at it ..

Tags
hopslam, iipa

Quick Reply