Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hopslam Clone...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #151
cmac4408
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I put in bottle Saturday. Tasted great. High hopes. Will post results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #152
jhoneycutt
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 1983

bottling lhbs version friday. gonna brew up the recipe a few posts up next weekend hopefully

Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #153
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sleepyemt,

Do you prefer your extract version or your all grain recipe better? Which is closer to the actual taste of Hopslam? Is the extract recipe easier?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #154
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoAllen
Sleepyemt,

Do you prefer your extract version or your all grain recipe better? Which is closer to the actual taste of Hopslam? Is the extract recipe easier?
I've never done the extract, only the all grain.... That was converted for someone as a favor. However if you can do the all grain, you can control the degree of fermentability, getting possibly lower that extract. In terms of a easier recipe, extract wouldn't fake as long...

More important would be your pitching rate and a good oxygenation...

Old 04-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #155
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac4408
I put in bottle Saturday. Tasted great. High hopes. Will post results.
Any update?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #156
lafolielapper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

update?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #157
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyemt

This one was the recipe I settled on. is it a exact? .... probably not So very Close though. I'd probably up the Amarillo a little at the dry hop. 6g recipe.It is a regular in my house now.

12.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 85.9 %
9.6 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
9.6 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.50 %] - First Hop 5 16.8 IBUs
1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 7.8 %
1.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 22.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [6.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 14.4 IBUs
1.20 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 11.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 14.1 IBUs
0.80 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 11 5.3 IBUs
0.60 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 3.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 13 -
3.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0
Can you give more details on your mash schedule and temps you used? Did you do a protein rest? Did i read it right that you mash and boil for 60 min? How much wart did yo have before and after the boil? I assume you racked to secondary and cold crashed? What was your OG and FG? Any extra advice or tips would help.

What was the purpose in using dextrose instead of honey? I think I missed that somewhere after reading this whole thread...

Sorry I am asking so many questions. I've searched long and hard and your recipes seem to be the only ones with some sort of feedback and positive results...Hopslam is one of my favorites but nearly impossible to get in my area because the stores all sell out in days. And you can forget trying to find a bar or pub that has it on draft.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #158
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoAllen View Post
Can you give more details on your mash schedule and temps you used? Did you do a protein rest? Did i read it right that you mash and boil for 60 min? How much wart did yo have before and after the boil? I assume you racked to secondary and cold crashed? What was your OG and FG? Any extra advice or tips would help.
I do a single infusion temperature mash Aiming for 149 degrees, until you get conversion, ~ an hour. I boil for 90 Minutes ~8.75g, and get a good rolling boil, this recipe is for 6 gal. post boil, and after trub loss, cooling loss, and dry hopping loss It is 5 gallons into the keg. Og of 1.087 is what your aiming for, Before you secondary make sure your at FG, I generally get 1.012 - 1.010, then secondary and dry hop additions for 7-8 days, then cold crash and gelatin for fairly clear beer. Big yeast starter (see Mr Malty) and a healthy dose of O2 will help a lot towards attentuation.

These specs are for my system though, its what works for me with ~ 70% Efficiency, you'll need to change it to your system. I have 2 10g igloo coolers, and a 10g kettle. My fermentation is temperature controlled.

Quote:
What was the purpose in using dextrose instead of honey? I think I missed that somewhere after reading this whole thread...
With the hone malt in there and the fact that honey will ferment almost 99% out, I find the sugar an acceptable substitute, and a little cheaper. I've brewed with both and find it almost indecipherable....

Quote:
Sorry I am asking so many questions. I've searched long and hard and your recipes seem to be the only ones with some sort of feedback and positive results...Hopslam is one of my favorites but nearly impossible to get in my area because the stores all sell out in days. And you can forget trying to find a bar or pub that has it on draft.
Ask away my brother! just leave feedback, I look forward to your results... I was hoping to hear about others results but they seem to have been lost, lol. I cant speak for bottling this beer, with so much hops you may need to redose with yeast at bottling... I seem to recall a BN podcast about yeast being stressed when their are lots of hops.
Hopslam is also one of my favorites, and with some of the area liquor stores jacking up the price its easier this way...

Hope this helps!!! Let me know what else I can answer

Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #159
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sleepyemt did you use the gypsum because your water is soft? I use city water and have a water softener so I have really soft water. I have yet to start this brew bc I have been waiting for my temp controller to arrive in the mail and ill have to wire it all up. It's taking forever to arrive...I should have known better than to buy it off eBay from someone in China.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #160
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoAllen
Sleepyemt did you use the gypsum because your water is soft? I use city water and have a water softener so I have really soft water. I have yet to start this brew bc I have been waiting for my temp controller to arrive in the mail and ill have to wire it all up. It's taking forever to arrive...I should have known better than to buy it off eBay from someone in China.

Ouch! Good luck with the temp controller! It will help when it does come in. Yes, the water here is really soft, I was advised by my lhbs to add gypsum it'll help with the hops... I can't really advise on how much for your water, but it has helped with mine.

I think you'll love the recipe

Tags
hopslam, iipa

Quick Reply