Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hopslam Clone...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #131
Horace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptochronolite View Post
First, I just picked up two cases of hopslam.

Second, I'm going to harvest some yeast from a bottle of Bells's Brown Best and make some slants. (And probably make a big-ass starter and brink it.)

Then I'm going to make about ten 600ml grain-bills, strike at 155ish, do a 90 minute boil, chill to 65 and mini-ferment them all inside of erlenmeyer flasks.

Then I'm going to bottle each one and drink them in a few weeks, with a comparative bottle.

Finally, I will take notes and adjust one variable in nine of the mini recipes and maintain a control of the "best one".

I hope I get to repeat this a few times; I like beer.
Your statement "I have decided to clone this recipe" was so absolute, I knew you had a game plan. Can't wait to read the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #132
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptochronolite View Post
First, I just picked up two cases of hopslam.

Second, I'm going to harvest some yeast from a bottle of Bells's Brown Best and make some slants. (And probably make a big-ass starter and brink it.)

Then I'm going to make about ten 600ml grain-bills, strike at 155ish, do a 90 minute boil, chill to 65 and mini-ferment them all inside of erlenmeyer flasks.

Then I'm going to bottle each one and drink them in a few weeks, with a comparative bottle.

Finally, I will take notes and adjust one variable in nine of the mini recipes and maintain a control of the "best one".

I hope I get to repeat this a few times; I like beer.
So how's this experiment coming Crypto? Anything to report or still too early in the process?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #133
mpelechaty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameadrat View Post
My conversion to ipa's has been recent so my knowledge of hops is weak. I am a ttacked to hopslam because I started making wine than mead and than big dark and maltty. However I have one point of disagreement with you and that is IPA's which are large alcohol and highly hopped beers were a way to survive for transports taking British troops around the cape to India. Where they caught on for their maturity and were than shipped as a product to the those same ports from England. As to hopslam I have no history with maturing it. It was only a talking point which I am going through. Today I opened an afforementioned homebrew. added TBSP clover honey to a small glass and whisked it in an taste it. ITwas way to sweet but interesting I got my funnel out and
dumped the remainder into the just opened 16 oz swingtop. Shook it up and tasted again with much better result. I think Bells is using clover(cost also drives that). I have a IPA in primary, when I rack to secondary I'm going to pull 1 gallon and add 1/4 honey to that gallon and give it 2 weeks to a month to bottle both. At which time I'm going to pull another gallon off which will use honey as the primer, the remainder of the fiver and the honey added gallon will be primed normally. 2 more weeks to bottle condition. Than Ill have my initial result for my clone of hopslam. Since Bells is using 1087 as OG that means their FG is 1020, Only 1056m yeast is normally used for an IPA that is because of the alcohol tolerance which can easily handle 10%. Thanks for your reply
I know this thread is dead, but I need to comment on this. First of all IPAs were supposed to survive the trip to england without spoiling. That has nothing to do with the hop aroma and flavor dying out. As per Sierra Nevada, who does extensive research on this topic, hop aroma is significantly diminished after 30 days. As far as letting the honey mellow, that is a myth. If you make a mead properly it can be ready in 2-3 months. Honey in a beer is such a low % of the grist and there are plenty of nutrients in the grist to allow the yeast to be healthy. Combine that with the fact that the OG is lower and that you are using a ale yeast and you really will have no problems. I don't know where you get 1.020, but Hopslam finishes at 3 plato which is roughly 1.010. WLP001 or 1056 will do just fine.

Cheers,
Michael J. Pelechaty

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #134
TheCrackpot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess I have some questions about this statement,

Quote:
Per Bells: We use Hersbrucker, Centennial, Glacier, Vanguard, & Crystal in the kettle, and then dry hop with Simcoe. Hopslam has an unusually high degree of fermentation, so you also encounter a fermentation profile that you wouldn't find in many of our other beers. Lets figure out a clone recipe for this one now that we have the type of hops. I have no experience with Glacier, Vanguard, or Crystal so I will not be of any assistance. Here is one more hint Our internal taste panels regularly identify a peach aroma that is unique among our brands to Hopslam. That, in concert with the various hops, may be the tropical flavor you asked about.
and how we can reconcile it with this statement

Quote:
Hopping is trickier, but I can tell you that we use a blend of modern American high-alpha aroma hops. A generous dry hop addition of Simcoe with a touch of Amarillo provides the signature aromatic punch. Bitterness is less than most people think, in the mid-to-upper 60 IBU range. Hopslam is all about hop flavor, not unrestrained bitterness.
In the first post of the email by Steelers77, the bit about Glacier, Vanguard, etc wasn't included. However, in a later post, Sleepyemt says that he copied & pasted information he found in an internet search. This is the first time the Glacier, Vanguard bit ends up getting coupled together with the Steelers77 email, as far as I can tell.

Regardless, the email and the Glacier, Vanguard bit don't make sense to me. Glacier, Crystal, Vanguard, and Hersbrucker aren't considered "modern American high-alpha aroma hops" as far as I know.

So, I guess my two bits would be to focus more on Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Centennial, and maybe Citra or something and scrap the German and English hops,even though it sounds like they make for a great beer.

Not trying to raise a stink, I just love this beer and would love for us to come up with an accurate clone.

Primary: Bohemian Pilsner, Simcoe Double Sunshine
Bottled: Galaxy Burst IPA, Pliny the Elder, Enjoy By Clone, Mosaic Double Sunshine, Double Sunshine, Holy Moley IPA, Abner, Mole Stout,
Heady Topper, HopSlam!, Grateful Dead Guy, Amarillo Ale,

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #135
PLAYERSONLY
Recipes 

Time to resurect this ...When I picked up a sixer yesterday of Hopslam it reminded me of this recipe thread. So what's the consensus on this recipe ? Whats the best version of this recipe?
Of those that have brewed this, did you brew it again?
What was your recipe?
Would you brew it that way again?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #136
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYERSONLY View Post
Time to resurect this ...When I picked up a sixer yesterday of Hopslam it reminded me of this recipe thread. So what's the consensus on this recipe ? Whats the best version of this recipe?
Of those that have brewed this, did you brew it again?
What was your recipe?
Would you brew it that way again?

Thanks!
This one was the recipe I settled on. is it a exact? .... probably not So very Close though. I'd probably up the Amarillo a little at the dry hop. 6g recipe.It is a regular in my house now.

12.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 85.9 %
9.6 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
9.6 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.50 %] - First Hop 5 16.8 IBUs
1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 7.8 %
1.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 22.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [6.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 14.4 IBUs
1.20 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 11.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 14.1 IBUs
0.80 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 11 5.3 IBUs
0.60 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 3.3 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 13 -
3.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #137
jhoneycutt
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 1810

anyone got a good extract with steeping grains version?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #138
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoneycutt View Post
anyone got a good extract with steeping grains version?
Here's the same recipe with Extra Light DME subbed, if you wanted to use Liquid you aim for a 1.087 SG which is 12lbs 2 oz roughly. Note the Centennial i had was from a crop with Low AA, and I increased the Amarillo at dry hop. If you brew this, let me know how it turns out

12.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
12.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
1.53 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.50 %] - First Hop 4 15.5 IBUs
10 lbs 1.9 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 76.9 %
1 lbs 7.8 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 11.3 %
1.53 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.2 IBUs
1.02 oz Centennial [6.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 14.6 IBUs
1.22 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 11.2 IBUs
1.02 oz Amarillo Gold [8.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 14.4 IBUs
0.81 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 11 5.4 IBUs
0.61 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 3.4 IBUs