The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > hops for a smooth high ABV beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
schristian619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've happered out my efficiency issues, so all is good in that regard.
I thought about using simcoe, but in small quantiies as I am not looking for much hop aroma. For now though, I think I'm going with magnum for bittering and czech saaz for flavor/aroma. I have a week before brew day so that may change. But I'm stuck on yeast as I'm making the start this weekend so I have time to ramp it up a couple times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
gxm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheschire View Post
HEY HEY!
you and me are in the same little boat here. Your on the right track though by researching. I already brewed mine without looking for proper hops. In return I have a very malty sweet beer. I used an oune of goldings and an ounce of cascade. Now that I look back its incredibly obvious that that wasnt enough. (I always wondered when the day would come where I say "that" twice in a row with it still making sense)
If you are very unhappy with the beer, you could:

1 - Make another similar beer with *alot* more hops, and blend the two
2 - Try to make some sort of bitter hop tea to add (not sure if you get much isomerization without sugars)
3 - Add another bitter flavor
4 - Someone else might have some good ideas for "fixing"

Good luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply