Hops that smell like pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatduck

Reaction score
So Im making an IIPA soon, and my buddy asked me to make it smell like weed.

Anyone know of any hops, or combos that smell like the good herb?

Thanks

maybe add an ounce of the real deal at flame out? There are no hops that smell like herb.

not sure the legality of your area, but find a grower and add some dried leaves. might not make it psychotropic, but will have that green smell you're looking for. besides, you can't exactly smoke cannabis leaves and expect much.

perhaps a hemp grower? same plant, different variety.

mods: hope this is within the rules. not trying to break any. ;)

Maybe you could make him some pickled eggs that taste like potato chips too!

Just pour him a beer and blow some smoke in his face.

Hops are in the Cannibus family. They already smell similar. Check out Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale.

I'd say any hop with piney qualities. Stay away from the overly fruity like simcoe. Columbus is pretty pungent and piney. I guess it depends on the type of weed ur "buddy" smokes. For some Mexican dirt weed aroma add a turd and some dog hair.

just make your beer set it out in the sun until it turns to skunk and tell him its the killer window sticker skunk bud :)

I assume that we can discuss hemp, since it is legal.

I have had some hemp beers in my life that I would like to forget. The two belong seperate in my opinion.

Don't risk making a not-so-tasty batch of beer just because your friend, who was probably under the influence at the time, asked for a beer that might satisfy his munchie craving.

Make a good beer and he'll still enjoy it. But if you're set on this idea, make him pay for the ingredients, that way it's all on him.

I am not trying to make a pot beer. That's a stupid idea.

I just want a beer that is reminiscent, in the hop profile, of marijuana.

So far my plan is a simple 2row + crystal malt bill for about 1.100 OG, and about 80IBUs of Columbus/Chinook, then some simcoe towards the end of the boil, and all three for dry hop.

I would aim for something smaller than 1.100. You are going to be getting too many other flavors competing to get what you want out of it.

Just do a regular IPA recipe and dry hop the ever loving crap out of it. Thats the closest you will ever get.

Unless pot smells like passionfruit to you, I'd ditch the simcoe. I love a simcoe ipa but it has a strong aroma like a Mai tai.

yeah i agree let it get light struck put a bunch of hops in and let em get all skunked out in the sun or under florencents.

Toast about a 1/2 oz of Cascades or Centennial, and dry hop. You'll know when it's done when you start smelling it. But don't do your whole batch, maybe just a gallon....

rather than trying to find hops that smell like weed you could try smoking some grain with something that smells like weed.

rather than trying to find hops that smell like weed you could try smoking some grain with something that smells like weed.

Brilliant! Imagine how fun that would be. You'd have friends lining up for the cause. I got five on it.

Get ahold of the guys at the Dark Horse brewery in Marshall. They had a beer on tap a while back called "smells like weed ipa". I have to admit it really did and it tasted awful. I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you plan on giving it all away. Just my $.02

hops is the closest family member to cannabis, they are both classified as the Cannabacae, they're virtually identical in how they show their sex parts.

Lupulin, produced by the female flowers of hops, is a known sedative and anti-insomnia agent. They also smell very much like each other and both plants can grow to heights of 20 feet or more.

The new Greenport Harbor brewery on LI has an IPA that I tasted at a beer fest in November. It was one of the first beers we tried, so I can trust my notes on it: "sticky-icky." They say they hop with Chinook, Columbus, and Cascade. I've always found that Chinook smells incredibly skunky in the boil, and several folks above suggested Columbus... the combination might get you pretty close.

(It was a really delicious IPA, by the way, in case you ever have a chance to try it.)

Back