Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops selection help for a summer beer (extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
first_3exit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops selection help for a summer beer (extract)

Im trying to refine a recipe I threw together (ive made several kits but this was my first shot at making my own) Heres what I threw together last time
6 lbs Pilsen Syrup
1 lb Global Kolsch Malt
1oz Cascade hops (+60 min)
1oz Saaz Hops (+15 min)
US-05 Yeast

I was going for something light in color (without using rice) but I guess this recipe was kinda a mutt lol Overall it was very drinkable but the hops just didnt go well together and im looking for some improvement.
Im also ok with changing the grain type, but was just going for something light here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

My standard blonde ale I make for the gf (primarily) gets only sterling hops. I usually use a kölsch or alt yeast, so my finished product probably isn't too far off from yours. I've found I like the sterling best, but I'd imagine (or in some cases know) crytal, ultra, liberty, mt hood, and so on all would be good. Most of these are US grown and easy to find, but are derived from German noble hops, which seem to go well in this kind of recipe. If you can't decide on one, try a couple. Just go with whatever flavors you like, based off the description.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can single hop it cascade, or cascade/centennial and just use small amounts for low IBU.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
coolitamigo
Recipes 

I am still new to making my own recipes, but if it was mine I would probably do 1 oz of saaz + .5 oz cascade at 60 and use the other .5-1 oz cascade at 15-0 minutes depending on your preference. I think the citrus aroma could be beneficial to a refreshing summer beer. good luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
first_3exit
Recipes 

Cool, thanks for the help. I think im gonna to go with the sterling hops and finish with liberty. Im also switching my grain from the kolsch to a pound of Carahell to mix things up a bit.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by first_3exit View Post
Cool, thanks for the help. I think im gonna to go with the sterling hops and finish with liberty. Im also switching my grain from the kolsch to a pound of Carahell to mix things up a bit.
Good plan. Somehow I had forgotten that Sterling is 1/2 Saaz (and 1/2 Hallertauer, if memory serves), so you are probably right in not using them for a late addition. Liberty is a great hop, perfect for this kind of beer.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
coolitamigo
Recipes 

Good luck with this. I got my summer blond in primary now. Also my first attempt at making my own recipe.

Quick Reply