Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops for a RIS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
azazel1024
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hops for a RIS

I am still mulling over my Russian Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Milk Stout. Yes, I probably have too much going on with it.

At any rate, I am trying to figure out what hops to use.

I've got a BUNCH of cascade and a fair amount of cluster sitting around. I've never used cluster before (I got 3oz of pellets for super cheap, yes they are fresh). I haven't been able to find much on their bittering/flavor/aroma profiles. The best I have found described them as kind of black currant, which peaked my interest.

I was kind of thinking of using the cluster hops for bittering and flavoring additions for the stout and using some cascade for some dry hoping, hoping to blend the citrus and grapefruit in with the black currant a little (maybe toss a couple of cluster pellets in with the cascade dry hopping).

Thoughts? Is the description of black currant way off?

Targetting about a 40IBU on this one and an OG of about 1.09.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
jbsg02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just brewed the BYO Stone RIS clone, it only called for a 90 minute addition of Warrior.

I may up your bitterness a little if you are expecting an OG of 1.090, I'm not familiar with cluster though so I can't really comment on that

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply