Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops for pairing with green tea and mint

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
thcrock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops for pairing with green tea and mint

So my next brew is going to have some green tea and possibly mint in it. I'm thinking that a moderately hoppy pale ale is going to fit this perfectly. There's something about hop aroma and flavor that I think will pair well. However, I don't know a whole bunch about different hop strains as I'm not a huge IPA fan and haven't yet brewed any hop-centered beers.

So I'd like to get some opinions: What hops would you pair with green tea and mint? I've also read that a couple of hop strains like Northern Brewer have a mint taste to them in the first place, so I'd consider leaving out extra mint and getting that flavor from said hops. This might be fine because I'm thinking of a subtle mint flavor, not one that makes you think you're drinking a dessert beer. My specific inspiration is Tazo's Zen green tea, so if you've had that you know where I'm coming from.

I'd also really appreciate any commercially available example beers that feature the suggested hops. The reason being that I plan on buying some commercial pale ales beforehand and testing different concentrations of tea+mint with them to see how I like it, and it'd be really helpful if I could do this testing on the same kind of hop I'll be using. So far, all I know is that Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale uses a lot of Cascade.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply