Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops IBUs, how does it work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
Griffsta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops IBUs, how does it work?

If i have a recipe that calls for, lets say, Cascade at 5.5, but I can only get Cascade with 7.8, then how do I work this out in my recipe?

For example, my recipe (beersmith) suggests 34 IBUs, but if I plug in the same weight of the cascade that I have, then I end up with 54.

How do I resolve this?

if I cut my hops in half for each addition, I end up at about 34, but how do I know if I am taking the hops out of the right addtion (either bittering, aroma, etc.)

Thanks

PRIMARY 1 -
PRIMARY 2 -
SECONDARY 1 -
KEG 1 - Griff's Amarillo Pale Ale
KEG 2 - Christmas in Ireland Stout
KEG 3 - Bee Cave Hefewiezen
KEG 4 - Orange Honey Hefeweizen
KEG 5 - Dead Guy Clone
BOTTLED - SNPA Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am too new at this to help you for sure, but my inital reaction is to reduce to amout of the bittering hops. I believe that this is where the majority of the bittering is coming from.

I an intrested in this question as well. Please wait for some more seasoned brewers to answer for sure.

Cheers,

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Don't cut each addition in half - if you want to keep close to the original IBUs of the recipe I would reduce only your 60 minute addition by maybe 20%. Anything additions at less than 30 minutes won't significantly affect IBUs so don't reduce - even though the recipe calculators will change the IBU value somewhat it's more flavor than bitterness. You don't want to give up flavor by reducing the later additions. Myself I usually don't change much of anything for a small variation in AA%, but then I don't mind a few extra IBUs either.

If you post your full hops schedule we could help a little better.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 04-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Ysgard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffsta View Post
If i have a recipe that calls for, lets say, Cascade at 5.5, but I can only get Cascade with 7.8, then how do I work this out in my recipe?

For example, my recipe (beersmith) suggests 34 IBUs, but if I plug in the same weight of the cascade that I have, then I end up with 54.

How do I resolve this?

if I cut my hops in half for each addition, I end up at about 34, but how do I know if I am taking the hops out of the right addtion (either bittering, aroma, etc.)

Thanks
For bittering additions (>=45 minutes) you multiply the recipe's addition by the recipe's AA divided by the actual AA.

In this case, 1oz (5.5/7.8) = .705. I would not cut your later additions by much if at all. Alpha acid is not what you are getting out of the late additions.

Quick Reply