Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops, hops and more hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
paliessmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Hops, hops and more hops!

Just bought a bunch of hops from the hops direct yard sale. 2 pounds nugget, 2 pounds cluster and 1 pound Apollo. I've never used any of these before and I was wondering if anyone has any advice of reviews????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Just did an all Nugget pale ale, that came out great. Ted Nugget used Nugget @ 60 and an ounce at @10 and @2 (don't have it in front of me) Came out very good.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
paliessmann
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore
Just did an all Nugget pale ale, that came out great. Ted Nugget used Nugget @ 60 and an ounce at @10 and @2 (don't have it in front of me) Came out very good.
Nice. I've a lot of good things about nugget. I'm looking forward to using them

Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Earlier this year I bought a pound of Nugget hops without having used them before. They are supposedly great as bittering hops and my all nugget IPA turned out pretty good as well. Full of herbal, floral, and earthy notes. Was almost too much for me from that one hop but was still good and am trying to figure out what to pair with it. Was thinking that it would work well with something piney (chinook or simcoe?) or citrusy (centennial or cascade?).

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
paliessmann
Recipes 

Yeah I think I'm most excited about the nugget. Really interested i what the cluster is going to do. I think I know what I'm getting with the 19.5 alpha Apollo hops. The nugget definitely seems like the most versatile of the three.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
IPAdilha
Recipes 

Any clues about how to use hop extract for a 5gallon batch of an IPA? Quantities, time for bittering, aroma,...
Thanks

Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAdilha
Any clues about how to use hop extract for a 5gallon batch of an IPA? Quantities, time for bittering, aroma,...
Thanks
I have used it in the Gone With the Wheat beer kits. With it being a no boil kit, you put the malt extract in, top up with hot water, then add the hop extract and yeast. Then after a week or so the hop taste because much more subtle and less harsh. Still, I don't believe it has an inch or proper hops, though. But still ok if you has little space or time etc.

Quick Reply