Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops Direct just put up 2012 Crop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #31
PistolPete2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just ordered a lb. each of cascade, chinook, and wgv-uk. Avg. 18 dollars/lb. with shipping. Not bad at all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
While I love Puterbaugh Farms/HD and have ordered many, many lbs of hops from them, this year with the "lottery mentality" has really turned me off. In years past, there was not this frenzy to order hops and you did not have to spend your day on line waiting for the opportunity to order. Curiously they are not offering imported pellet hops such as Nelson, Galaxy, etc. which they have in the past. I'm a big fan of the big 3 (Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe) but I also know that there are many other hops out there such as the Aussie & NZ hops as well as US hops designed to bridge the shortage (7C's, Falconers Flight, etc.) that are great hops in their own right.
I wont' lie.. I love me some of the big guys.. Amarillo is a weakness. I'd stuff my pockets with it to just smell it all day if I could.

But I used some 7C's in a nice sized IPA a few months ago, tossed in some cascade in the mix with it and it was one of the nicer beers I've made. Has all the qualities I love in an IPA. I wouldn't be upset if I had to use it in all my IPAs.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #33
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I wont' lie.. I love me some of the big guys.. Amarillo is a weakness. I'd stuff my pockets with it to just smell it all day if I could.

But I used some 7C's in a nice sized IPA a few months ago, tossed in some cascade in the mix with it and it was one of the nicer beers I've made. Has all the qualities I love in an IPA. I wouldn't be upset if I had to use it in all my IPAs.
I too have made some really nice IIPA's using Falconers Flight, 7C's, Zythos, and these hops are readily available and reasonable so we use them quite a bit.

With Mosaic set to come online at least the Citra shortage should ease a bit hopefully.

I recall in years past that Puterbaugh/HD used to send out a "heads up" email that let you know when the hops were going to be available online. I didn't see that this year - maybe I overlooked it. That was how I was able to get in on the big 3 in years past.

Good to hear that the imported hops will be available later on but also a bit strange in that the Aussie/NZ harvest was a while ago I thought. I have been purchasing Nelson, Galaxy, etc. from other places for some time now unless they were 2011 crop.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
I too have made some really nice IIPA's using Falconers Flight, 7C's, Zythos, and these hops are readily available and reasonable so we use them quite a bit.

With Mosaic set to come online at least the Citra shortage should ease a bit hopefully.

I recall in years past that Puterbaugh/HD used to send out a "heads up" email that let you know when the hops were going to be available online. I didn't see that this year - maybe I overlooked it. That was how I was able to get in on the big 3 in years past.

Good to hear that the imported hops will be available later on but also a bit strange in that the Aussie/NZ harvest was a while ago I thought. I have been purchasing Nelson, Galaxy, etc. from other places for some time now unless they were 2011 crop.

Is mosaic similar to citra?? I heard it was more simcoe than anything. I'm tempted to get a pound of it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #35
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You might be right about Southern Hemi hops - I didn't factor that into my thoughts. English and Czech, I would assume, should be available shortly.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #36
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Default Citra On Steroids....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Is mosaic similar to citra?? I heard it was more simcoe than anything. I'm tempted to get a pound of it.
My recollection was that Mosaic was described as "Citra on steroids" by a hop expert but I could be wrong. From what I remember reading,Mosaic should help with the Citra shortage but that Simcoe will be I short supply until the additional plantings mature enough to increase production.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Nix what I just said about Mosaic. You are correct - it is a Simcoe/Nugget type of hop not Citra. I need to find the article on the article on the Citra sub which has the name of the new hop.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #38
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Meridian is the name of the new hop that I was thinking of. Very Citra like according to reports.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:

They posted a heads up on their Facebook page. With five minutes to sell out barely anyone ever had a chance...I hope label peelers pulls through wi my pre order.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #40
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
No EKG this year/yet??
Probably closer to January, no? Seem to recall that's about the time their imported pellets started showing up last year.

Edit: On the plus side, First Gold is available which I've heard great things about. Ordered a lb for experimenting with yesterday.

Quote:
Meridian + Mosaic
Suddenly I'm excited. Anything else you know about these you can share?

Quick Reply