New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops clash?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
KerryD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hops clash?

Can't say I know much about this yet... I'm doing a kind krystal wheat attempt and the brewery says they use Perle as a bittering hop and liberty as a flavoring hop. Of course the IBU's are light... 18-20...

Question.. I don't have Perle and was going to sub Cascade for bittering and then use the Liberty as late addition... Anybody see a problem?

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have had good luck with Cascade in Witbiers for both bittering and flavor/aroma. I don't brew German wheats, but I don't think you'll have a problem using it for bittering. If you want to minimize the Cascade character, just add it at 90 minutes - the extra half hour will help boil off most of the aroma and flavor compounds.

In the future, you may consider buying a pound of a clean, flavor-neutral bittering hop like Magnum, Warrior, Horizon or Galena and use it for all of your beers. It'll save you money in the long run if you can store it properly (preferably vacuum sealed in a freezer)

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

probably won't taste bad but perle hops have about double the AA that cascade does.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Guys!

Beersmith says I'm at 21 IBU's so that should work for the style.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Quick Reply