Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops: Bitterness "flavor" on long boils; explained

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
...One thing for sure with these high AA hops you need an accurate scale for measuring the bittering addition.
Use grams and it's nice and easy. Metric System FTW!

Seriously though, for high alpha hops you can't beat a cheap postage scale that uses grams. I used to do it with my grain scale which supposedly does 1g increments but I had a lot of inconsistencies I didn't like.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #12
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some sources say that during the boil, and even more for FWH and mash hopping, flavor compounds of the hops are oxidized into more stable aromatic compounds. I guess that's where you get the flavor from bittering hops from. Germans supposedly don't go to all the lengths of keeping O2 out of the hop storage. (was mentioned in one of the Basic Brewing Radio podcasts) This may make a difference as well.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply