The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hoppy Wheat or Hoppy Wit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #21
944play
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Hoppy wheat can mean a lot of things. Commercially speaking, I heart stuff like Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' and Schneider Edel-Weiss. Bear Republic has a highly hopped weizenbock called Das Koma with a crapton of noble hops, and it's quite nice.

Lagunitas Sumpin' Wild, Stone Cali-Belgique, and their ilk are not so pleasant to me. I can't imagine what a hoppy wit would be like, but I suppose I'd not appreciate undue masking of that subtle sulfur note that I want in a wit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I just made a beer, a wit grain bill and spices (coriander and orange peel), but with Notty and a good dosing of cascade at the end of the boil. The hops dominated, really taste will a pale ale (good one at that), but Im sure that also was to do with the notty and not using something like WLP400.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play
Hoppy wheat can mean a lot of things. Commercially speaking, I heart stuff like Lagunitas Sumpin' Sumpin' and Schneider Edel-Weiss. Bear Republic has a highly hopped weizenbock called Das Koma with a crapton of noble hops, and it's quite nice.

Lagunitas Sumpin' Wild, Stone Cali-Belgique, and their ilk are not so pleasant to me. I can't imagine what a hoppy wit would be like, but I suppose I'd not appreciate undue masking of that subtle sulfur note that I want in a wit.
The goal with this beer was to add a hop note to the profile without masking any of the other subtleties. Tasting it now that it's carbonated I can assure you the dominant flavors are the yeast, orange zest, and coriander. There is a soft hop flavor that adds a little citrus, grassy note. The hop flavor is no more aggressive than that of a Belgian beer with a late addition. The yeast is the star, with the spicing and hops playing a complimentary role. Just in this case the hop flavor is citrusy/grassy instead of spicy and herbal as the euro hops add.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #24
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh10 View Post
I just made a beer, a wit grain bill and spices (coriander and orange peel), but with Notty and a good dosing of cascade at the end of the boil. The hops dominated, really taste will a pale ale (good one at that), but Im sure that also was to do with the notty and not using something like WLP400.
I'm actually doing (more or less) the same thing tomorrow. Keeping in style with a traditional wit, just using some late cascade hops. Just as an experiment. I could see the flavor leaning a little more towards a wheat-based pale ale once it's all said and done, but I'm fine with that result as well.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #25
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecb

I'm actually doing (more or less) the same thing tomorrow. Keeping in style with a traditional wit, just using some late cascade hops. Just as an experiment. I could see the flavor leaning a little more towards a wheat-based pale ale once it's all said and done, but I'm fine with that result as well.
My beer showed that even with a 1oz KO addition of a potent hop like citra, it doesn't mean it would overpower. I think to achieve what I was aiming for, I would've had to go 1.5oz or more at KO. The spices, orange zest, and yeast had no problems showing through.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
Mpez
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good debate here. I brewed a Citra Wit last weekend. 2 oz of citra went in near the end of the boil. I also left out orange all together to see what kind of citrus flavor I could get out of a sorachi citra combo.

You may say that this is not a proper wit bier, and I would not disagree. However it's what I wanted to try so why the hell not. If it turns out terrible, it will get dumped. But so far I don't think that's going to happen. So far I am loving the aroma.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.1 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
8 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 38.1 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5 4.8 %

0.35 oz Sorachi Ace [10.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 6.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 4.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

2.20 tsp Flour (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
1 Liter starter Belgian Wit II (White Labs #WLP410)

Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #27
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I myself wanted to do my wit with the sorachi ace/citra combo for its citrus enhancement, but i began wondering if the high cohumulone ratios in those high AA hops would detract from a beer with subtlety. I am scheduled to brew tomorrow, and will likely go with a more traditional hop schedule. I personally think that the bitterness of the high AA/cohumulone will blow out some good quality subtle flavors from both yeast and spicing.

I don't think your beer will be terrible. In fact, it may be quite good. However, the point of a wit is to have those subtle belgian qualities behind them, and I dont see such a strong hop providing a smooth palate to embrace those subtle qualities.
Now before you voraciously defend yourself, realize that I realize you are not going for traditional wit. Good for you for doing what you like, and I am sure/hope that it turns out delicious. However, if you aren't going to make it something, then dont call it that. In line with the cascadian black ales or whatever you want to call them, they just arent IPAs. I would just call it an american wheat, even irregardless of the yeast used.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190)
Primary - Lambic!, HT twist

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #28
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a Belgian Wit that wasn't terribly high in IBUs, about 24 I think, that I fermented with 3711 and I dry hopped with 1.5 oz of Amarillo... it was so good.... Used Coriander and Orange Peel at whirlpool.

Had unmalted wheat and flaked oats, and I just fermented at 148. Perfect for the hot season.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
Mpez
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The great thing about home brewing (and craft brewing) is you can do whatever you like. That of course doesn't mean it will be any good, or that anyone besides it's creator might like it. But the fact that it occurs is good. If that were not the case we would all still be sucking down light American lager.

Even within the relatively small world of Craft brew (when compared to the BMC market) you have styles that only a tiny fraction of so called craft brew lovers enjoy. Look at beers like Arrogant bastard or DFH 90 or 120 minute IPA. If craft brewers only brewed to the taste and views of the majority of craft brew drinkers then these beers would not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
However, if you aren't going to make it something, then dont call it that. In line with the cascadian black ales or whatever you want to call them, they just arent IPAs. I would just call it an american wheat, even irregardless of the yeast used.
The grist and yeast in my brew are spot on for the style and the IBUs are not that far out of style. Yes the hop varieties, and hop schedules are non-traditional, but I am still going to call this a wit style beer.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #30
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpez View Post

The grist and yeast in my brew are spot on for the style and the IBUs are not that far out of style. Yes the hop varieties, and hop schedules are non-traditional, but I am still going to call this a wit style beer.
Thats the best way to put it. A Wit "style" beer. Yes, wits have been made a certain way for a long time for a reason. It works. But somebody had to think "what would happen if I put a little coriander and orange peel in my brew?"

As for your beer, with all of those late citra additions I imagine your beer will come out more like a gumballhead style. Nothing wrong with that. I think the hops will be more prominant in your beer than with mine as it was only one late addition.

As for my beer, i shared it with some new neighbors in my apt building on 4th of july and everyone loved it. Nobody thought it was too hoppy. They all just thought it was a really good wheat beer. (they were all drinking bass, newcastle, and sam adams before trying my beer). They might not have had a judges palate, but the beer was tasty and to me, thats all that really matters.

Quick Reply