Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hoppy Honey Wheat- Tell what you think??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Big "A"
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hoppy Honey Wheat- Tell what you think??

A friend of mine used to live in Seattle and was raving about a beer called Yakima Honey Wheat. I was like that sounds great and Right now it sounds really good.
I am going from memory because I am not on my computer.

Briess 2 row 6lbs
Wheat Malt 4lbs
Cara-pils 1lbs
Honey Malt 1.5lbs
Flaked Wheat 1lbs
Honey 2lbs (after reading your post I guess I should back this off)
I was going with a more american style so I was thinking
Magnum 1oz
Cascade 1oz
Cascade 1oz (Dry Hop)
Yeah I'm a Hop Head!

Suggestions welcome! I am not trying to clone that beer but make something notable and very tasty!!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks good to me. I think it should be pretty complimentary. Allow me to recommend 2 lbs. of honey malt instead of 1.5. I've used honey malt in the past and it's really tough to make it show through in the final product. If you don't use enough you may as well not use it at all. Mind if I ask why you're using flaked wheat on top of a good load of wheat malt? Also, consider using golden naked oats. Though that's a UK product, if you look it up you'll see that it might enhance the flavor profile you're looking for. Beyond that, I can't think of too much else to add.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Big "A"
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBier
Looks good to me. I think it should be pretty complimentary. Allow me to recommend 2 lbs. of honey malt instead of 1.5. I've used honey malt in the past and it's really tough to make it show through in the final product. If you don't use enough you may as well not use it at all. Mind if I ask why you're using flaked wheat on top of a good load of wheat malt? Also, consider using golden naked oats. Though that's a UK product, if you look it up you'll see that it might enhance the flavor profile you're looking for. Beyond that, I can't think of too much else to add.
Thanks man, I will definitely try the Golden Naked Oats. Sounds like a good addition!!
Honestly I want to say that I saw a recipe with both in it, can't remember
I'll guess I'll work this up on my computer tonight and pick up the stuff from the LHBS on saturday. If there are any more suggestions feel free to post. Thanks!!!

I will keep you updated on flavor and appearance, i.e. pic of a chilled pint!!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply