HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hoppy Brown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
celtic_dude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Hoppy Brown

What do you guys think? Gonna brew this one up this weekend. I love browns but always wished they were a little more hoppy.

6 lb. Amber malt extract
1 lb. British crystal 50-60L
.5 lb. British chocolate
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma)
wyeast 1028 or 1335
Irish Moss

Picked Cascade since I have a bunch left over.

Color: 75 HCU (~29 SRM)
Bitterness: 71 IBU
OG: 1.050 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.1%

Last edited by celtic_dude; 01-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That certainly would be hoppy. I think I'd change to a light extract and throw in a smidge of black patent OR up the chocolate. Other than that, it looks interesting.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
celtic_dude

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beer: Hoppy Brown 2 Style: American Brown
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 103 HCU (~36 SRM)
Bitterness: 73 IBU
OG: 1.045 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 4.6% v/v (3.6% w/w)
Water: Irish Moss

Grain: 1 lb. British crystal 50-60L
1 lb. British chocolate
Steep: Steep 30minutes @ 150f
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.038 6.5 gallons
6 lb. Light malt extract
Irish moss last 15minutes
Malt dex 60 minuts

Hops: 1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma)
Yeast: wyeast 1028 or 1335

Here it is with the light extract and 1lb of the chocolate

Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I actually think you're better off with the chocolate the way it is. A full pound will not only make it very (too?) dark, it'll throw off the flavor with too much roasted-malt character.

You do realize you're looking at about 78 IBU, right? That's really bitter. If that's what you're after, go for it. But that seems over the top to me. Combine the hops bitterness with roasted-malt bitterness, and you'll have a beer that'll need to age a loooooong time before it's drinkable (IMO). Me, I'd hop for about 45 IBU for the full boil, then add a raft of hops at flameout for flavor and aroma. That's what it sounds like you're after, and the way your recipe is written it's a brown bitterness bomb with a bit of hops flavor and aroma.

But hey, to each his own, right?

Bob

Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What temp are you mashing at? I would think a FG of 1.010 is a bit too dry for a brown, especially for 78 ibu's. You could up your malt bill a bit to get a SG of say 1.060 and then mash a little higher (154). Then shoot for a FG of like 1.014 - 1.016? Just a thought.

Eastside

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
celtic_dude

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am a big fan of beers over 80 ibu's. My favorite brew at the moment is the Flying dog Gonzo and that comes in at 85 ibu's. And Gonzo is loaded with chocolate, black and 120L malts.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Then do what you like.

Personally, I can't abide flavor-bombs. Never understood the point of such overwhelming stuff - it's the beer equivalent of chomping on a habanero pepper. After half a glass of an 80IBU beer, I can't taste anything else the rest of the evening; my palate shuts down. That ruins the whole point of drinking beer. Frankly, the whole "bigger, faster, louder, MORE" thing is just too unsubtle and testosteroned. "Look at me! I can't taste anything less than Alpha King!" Like that's a badge of honor.

Edit:
I'm not saying you, personally, do that! It's just been my experience that aficionados of flavor-bomb beers are fans not because those beers are necessarily good but because they're extreme; and we all know how marketable "X-treme" anything is. I hate to see otherwise discerning beer drinkers becoming sheeple and falling prey to marketing forces. If you genuinely appreciate flavor-bomb beers, that's another thing entirely.

Like I said, if you like 'em, brew 'em and drink 'em. And you needn't save one for me!

Bob

Last edited by Bob; 01-07-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
Then do what you like.

Personally, I can't abide flavor-bombs. Never understood the point of such overwhelming stuff - it's the beer equivalent of chomping on a habanero pepper. After half a glass of an 80IBU beer, I can't taste anything else the rest of the evening; my palate shuts down. That ruins the whole point of drinking beer. Frankly, the whole "bigger, faster, louder, MORE" thing is just too unsubtle and testosteroned. "Look at me! I can't taste anything less than Alpha King!" Like that's a badge of honor.

Edit:
I'm not saying you, personally, do that! It's just been my experience that aficionados of flavor-bomb beers are fans not because those beers are necessarily good but because they're extreme; and we all know how marketable "X-treme" anything is. I hate to see otherwise discerning beer drinkers becoming sheeple and falling prey to marketing forces. If you genuinely appreciate flavor-bomb beers, that's another thing entirely.

Like I said, if you like 'em, brew 'em and drink 'em. And you needn't save one for me!

Bob
I definitely acknowledge the trend you site, however, just because some like a bitter beer, doesn't mean they are sheep. I see you acknowledge that, but I'd just like to reinforce that some just prefer a strong bite. Personally, there are nights when I'd rather drink one hearty beer than three refined beers. I think its similar to stinky cheese. It would be silly to shout down the guy who likes Stilton by calling him trendy for eating a pungent cheese.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

True enough, sir! There are those who follow trends, and those who do things because they like to. For example, I was an REM fan for most of a decade before the song "Losing My Religion" went #1 for the better part of a year. It really bit to be labelled a bandwagon jumper; some kids thought I went out and bought all those records because I wanted to look cool.

[sigh]

I just saw - and continue to see - too many trend-followers sustaining and inflating trends I'd rather watch die. Like this flavor-bomb trend: I mourn far too many excellent session beers which have been dropped from microbrewery portfolios because it makes more economic sense to brew a 10% ABV, 100 IBU nuclear-missile-in-a-bottle.

There are nights in my life when I want a snifter full of barleywine and that's it. But those nights are so few and far between it's not even worth mentioning; most nights, I want at least three Imperial pints of something that's worth drinking. If that's something with enough alpha-acids in to strip the enamel off my teeth, I feel ripped off, because I can't taste anything after the first half-pint; I might as well drink tea. So give me Bitter, give me Mild; give me something sessionable that makes me want to drink more, not less.

But not everyone is me, alas. I do not begrudge people's tastes. Well, not much, anyway.

Bob

Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
celtic_dude

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Bob

I like the points you make on trends and the people whom follow them. I look at the beer I make, is the beer I enjoy and the beer my friends enjoy. Most of my friends and family do not like the flavor bombs. I have maybe 1 or 2 who enjoy them every so often. Myself on the other hand, I love tripel, barleys, quads and beers over 80ibu's. I can't say I jumped on the bandwagon to follow a trend though. One day I happed to try a Victory Hopdevil(back in the day when all I drank was Yuegling Lager and thought it was the best beer out there) and thought this beer has a great taste. And I went on from there. I also like my mild beers and sessions beers as well. Depends on my mood that day. But for me after a long stressful day at the office and then coming home and being handed the crying baby hoping bedtime comes soon for her so that I can enjoy 1 strong beer to melt away the days ups and downs. But Bob you are right in saying each there own. Everyone has different tastes. And thats the greatest thing about brewing your own beer. You can craft what you like. It doesn't have to be something to win the hearts of hundreds. Just your own. and DWRHHB

Quick Reply